• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Tuesday, 5 January

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Dune 2 is remembered as the “start” of a new genre, but Dune fell into oblivion. Funny thing, though understandable - it’s was a highly experimental title, mixing adventure and strategy and… I don’t know what really, I never could get a grasp on its genre, and I would loosely compare it with J.U.L.I.A. from modern games.

Contrary to majority of RTS titles, the game is seen solely through the eyes of Paul Atreides (featuring “Kyle MacLachlan”) which adds the “adventure” dimension, along with the 1st-person navigation, dialogue and current screen-related options… The strategy part is bigger of a “puzzle”, though, where you need to balance the harvesting and military assignments. It’s worth mentioning the music - by many, its still one of the best soundtrack for a game in any genre, and Dune also was one of the first floppy disks-to-CD converted games with notable technical improvements.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

You can listen to the sound track on Stéphane Picq’s soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/st-phane-picq

As a kid, I loved the first Dune book and I really loved this game. I got it as soon as the CD version came out with my birthday money and it was amazing at the time.

As Diego said, It’s definitely a strange game, it’s got some adventure elements and some resource management elements (but in a more “realistic” way than most RTS). I think this game should be a prime candidate for a playthrough, but I’m worried that the adventure game elements are too few for people here to accept it as an adventure game.

Anyway, try this game, it’s one of a kind (to be fair Lost Eden also by Cryo is very similar but not as good)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I loved this game. It introduced me to the Dune universe, and IIRC, I watched David Lynch’s Dune movie (also with a great soundtrack by rock band Toto) right after playing this game.

I’m aware that Dune 2 sparked the RTS genre, but the ending section in this game was turn-based, not real-time. Or do I remember things wrong? It’s been over 20 years after all…

As I recall, it’s 2/3 AG and then suddenly 1/3 turn-based strategy. Perfect for the hybrid category. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Hmm.. I believe I have played at least some of this game, but I can’t remember a single thing about it, why is that!?

Perhaps I’m misremembering having played it, and confusing it with Dune 2 .. or perhaps it is just so forgettable a game?!

Either way, I also love the books as a child, and kind of liked the movie, even though it didn’t live up to the books.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 06 January 2016 06:42 AM

I’m aware that Dune 2 sparked the RTS genre, but the ending section in this game was turn-based, not real-time. Or do I remember things wrong? It’s been over 20 years after all…

Yeah, it’s weird. (is there ANYTHING from Cryo that is not weird?! Tongue ) You’re probably right - it’s definitely not the classic RTS system where you see your troops moving, but you also don’t have the classic “end turn”, nor you need to wait for en enemy to make his actions. Remember that you can freely ride in an ornithopter, so the designers probably wanted you to be under the notion that everything is happening in real-time, and what really advances the time (once you issue orders) are your “adventure” action, moving out of screen etc. (You can also fly to the battle site and issue orders directly (though I never did that)). Or am I remembering wrong?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Great game, (better than the movie) I have to replay it one of these days. I loved the first part and started it multiple times but I think I only finished it once. Can’t really remember the specifics of how the strategy elements worked. I do remember flying around in the orni looking fot random caves. Chani!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

One of the things that makes it hard to figure out what genre Dune belongs to is that there’s no challenge whatsoever. I mean, literally. Both the adventure portions and the strategy portions essentially drive themselves. It’s like a Telltale game without the choices.

Still, I love it to bits and replay it regularly. (And, while it doesn’t follow the book’s plot, it’s still better than the horrid Lynch movie.)

diego - 06 January 2016 08:14 AM

You’re probably right - it’s definitely not the classic RTS system where you see your troops moving, but you also don’t have the classic “end turn”, nor you need to wait for en enemy to make his actions. Remember that you can freely ride in an ornithopter, so the designers probably wanted you to be under the notion that everything is happening in real-time, and what really advances the time (once you issue orders) are your “adventure” action, moving out of screen etc. (You can also fly to the battle site and issue orders directly (though I never did that)). Or am I remembering wrong?

You’re both remembering wrong. The strategy sections are absolutely not turn-based. You send your troops to a fortress and then wait (in real time, or by sleeping or flying around) for them to get there and win.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 06 January 2016 08:14 AM

You’re probably right - it’s definitely not the classic RTS system where you see your troops moving, but you also don’t have the classic “end turn”, nor you need to wait for en enemy to make his actions. Remember that you can freely ride in an ornithopter, so the designers probably wanted you to be under the notion that everything is happening in real-time, and what really advances the time (once you issue orders) are your “adventure” action, moving out of screen etc. (You can also fly to the battle site and issue orders directly (though I never did that)). Or am I remembering wrong?

I don’t recall leaving the strategy screen much. As I remember, the entire thing played like a customized version of ‘Risk’ where you could give some troops an edge if they were trained in certain weaponry.

Details are VERY fuzzy, though. This was a LOOOOOONG time ago…

Kurufinwe - 06 January 2016 10:33 AM

You’re both remembering wrong. The strategy sections are absolutely not turn-based. You send your troops to a fortress and then wait (in real time, or by sleeping or flying around) for them to get there and win.

Ah, I stand corrected. But it’s nowhere near the stressful levels of regular RTS games, then?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

TimovieMan - 06 January 2016 10:52 AM

Ah, I stand corrected. But it’s nowhere near the stressful levels of regular RTS games, then?

No. As I said, you send your troops and wait for a couple of minutes and that’s it. There’s no gameplay.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I watched David Lynch’s Dune movie (also with a great soundtrack by rock band Toto) right after playing this game.

You know, the game complements the movie perfectly - just as I couldn’tt define the game’s genre, I could never decide whether the movie is garbage or a great piece of art. Grin Very strange flick.

You send your troops to a fortress and then wait (in real time, or by sleeping or flying around) for them to get there and win.

Yeah… thanks, I thought it was something like that.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

TimovieMan - 06 January 2016 10:52 AM

To be fair, Dune 2 as an RTS was nowhere as stressful as the RTS that came after…

I don’t remember Dune being particularly easy though, you had to fulfill spice quotas for the emperor and if you didn’t meet them you would die. The longer you played the game, the higher the spice quotas for the emperor became so if you took too long it became much harder.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top