• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

vetalfor

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Message re: forum bans and expectations

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Rather than derail other threads with piecemeal comments about moderating issues, I’ll use this space to address the topic in general.

In light of a few fairly conspicuous forum bans of late, I figured I’d take the opportunity to discuss the overall forum guidelines and expectations here at AG. I don’t intend to comment on any particular member’s situation specifically, except to say that plenty of consideration and patience is ALWAYS extended by the mod team before bans occur. Any notion that we’re all power-mad purple tentacles intent on ruling the world with an iron fist is clearly ridiculous.

Seriously, anyone who thinks being a mod is a power trip knows absolutely nothing of the job. AG’s moderators freely devote their time and energy to a completely thankless role, knowing full well that they’ll inevitably be drawn into ugliness they don’t deserve. The goal of any mod is to be completely invisible (as such) on the forums. We oversee the playground for you to play in, and a perfect day is when we’re never needed for anything more than directing traffic. It’s up to you to play nice.

Unfortunately, the internet is full of self-entitled people who behave atrociously and believe themselves blameless. Thankfully, the idiot ratio here at AG is much better than at most places, but we’re certainly not immune. Sometimes posters who otherwise have something positive to contribute simply refuse to moderate themselves and continue to cross lines that cannot be tolerated.

I must say, it takes real effort to get oneself banned from AG. When it all boils down, we really just have one rule: don’t be an ass – to us, to your fellow community members, or to the people who make the games that bring us all here. Or just in general. Does that mean there can be no disagreements or criticism? HELL no. What it means is: don’t be an ass. If you ARE being an ass, the mods are going to tell you you’re being an ass. And the more you do it, the sterner that message will be. (And if it comes from me personally, the site’s designated bad cop, then you’ve already exhausted the gentle stages.) Eventually it’ll become a warning, and then you’ll be banned if it happens again, either publicly or in private. We’re not going to coddle such people with kid gloves. Quite the contrary: the more a person acts like a child, the more we’ll treat them as adults accountable for their words and actions.

So let me be absolutely clear on this: if someone is banned from AG, they have only themselves to blame.

There’s also the increasingly common issue of banned people sneaking back on with different accounts. Again, this is a totally childish and gutless move. If you want another chance, then man (or woman) up, admit your wrongdoing, commit to improved behaviour, and I can assure you we’ll consider it (probably with at least some time away). But just dodging the rules with the same lousy attitude is not cool. To those who would consider doing that: own your actions, accept responsibility to change, and then maybe. Sneaking in? Completely non-negotiable.

Now, the actual discipline part of this message doesn’t apply to 99% of you. I understand that, and I’m not painting everyone with the same brush. I’m just making the point to those who most need to hear it, and outlining the overall process for everyone else.

If anyone would like to comment on these points – in general – you are welcome to do so, though this is NOT an invitation to back-seat moderate any current issues. Nor are we going to get into the particulars of anyone’s banishment or prior history, which is no one’s business and always goes far beyond what is publicly visible. All you need to know is, anyone who’s been kicked off AG has blown multiple opportunities to make things right. They typically won’t accept that fact, but it doesn’t change the truth.

Anyhow, for all the rest of you who wouldn’t dream of being an ass in the company of a community you enjoy, carry on!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top