• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday, 3 January

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

There’re those games that are love/hate thing with players, but there’re also games that I, myself, BOTH love and hate at the same time! I’m fan of the original absurd movie (though game borrows more from the animated series), and in that regard - Ace Ventura delivers! Beautiful one liners, incredible voice acting mimicking the Jim Carrey’s style, movie references but also clever “original” material…

And then, you have quite unnecessary mini-games - they’re not even “fillers”, they’re totally superfluous, especially the snowmobile ride to maneuver around Alaska. But they’re not the main problem, once you get the hang of it (and if they don’t play too fast on your system). To me, even bigger “trouble” were lack of subtitles, lite-inventory system where you can’t combine items (not even INSPECT an item for its description), buggy navigation… Then, there’s that totem puzzle. Grin On top of all, I think I reached the dead-end in Ace’s apartment when hacking the internet site, and the game automatically saves only your current position (yeah, it’s the most terrible save system ever invented by human).

Well, since I wrote this much, I might as well end it with a score - if it wasn’t for some technical annoyances, it would be a straight 3,5/5. This way, it’s 3/5 - even though it’s “lite” on puzzles (and I believe quite short) it hits the right note where it matters most.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks diego for the interesting description - this is one of those games that I’ve looked at so many screenshots for without knowing too much about the game until now!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

OK, this is ridiculous - it IS a dead-end! I entered the wrong password and now I can’t have a second try. DO NOT GO IN THERE! Once, only ONCE I say to myself: “No matter what, you’re going to finish this game!” and it turns out I met the dead-end in a game which automatically saves only your last position! ALRIGHTY THEN!

(Remember that next time you accuse me of not finishing a playthrough. It’s NOT my fault! Tongue )

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Can’t you manually backup the save file (outside of the game) occasionally and then re-copy it when the proverbial shit hits the fan?

With a broken save system like that, it’s often a good work-around…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 06 January 2016 06:47 AM

Can’t you manually backup the save file (outside of the game) occasionally and then re-copy it when the proverbial shit hits the fan?

With a broken save system like that, it’s often a good work-around…

I guess you can. And you guess - I didn’t do it. Grin I mean, I heard it’s a short game, not that hard… (though entering the right password is not easy at all, it’s similar to Phantasmagoria 2 or entering manually the right destination in Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened) so I didn’t really think of a backup.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top