• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 18 December

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

One game that was frequently nominated for a CCPT was Dark Strokes - Sins of the Fathers. I don’t know why it never gained enough traction to get elected, because it is a very good game. It may have suffered from the same problems many other games suffer from when it comes to the playthrough process. That is, it was always the second-best game nominated, and it finally ran out of voting steam.

The basic story is that you and your fiance have been invited to visit your father. While not specifically stated, there is an ominous undertone to the invitation.

Upon your arrival, your fiance is kidnapped by a masked entity. (The mask is somewhat reminiscent of the Guy Fawkes mask in the movie “V for Vendetta.” Your father is also missing. Fortunately you are befriended by a man who was seemingly injured while trying to thwart the kidnapping. It goes without saying that your three goals are to save your fiance, find your father and discover what the heck is going on. You will succeed in all three, but not without experiencing some bizarre plot twists that came as a complete surprise the first time I played the game.

The game, from Alawar Games, is well designed. The story is very good, as are the graphics, music and voice acting. The one shortcoming that I found is that the graphic portrayal of the main characters is not done at the same high level as the rest of the game. There aren’t many scenes where this minor flaw comes into play, so it doesn’t really affect enjoyment of the game.

Sins of the Fathers was released in the same era as other games that seem to have too many hidden object scenes for current tastes. I’m guessing that this era pretty much accounts for most games released prior to 2013. That said, this game, which was released in April 2012, is one of the first to attempt some form of interactivity in the hidden object scenes. It may be something as simple as using a hammer to smash a vase to find a rose, but at least it is a start. Alawar should be commended for getting hidden object games started on a better path.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Tim for the screenshot & description - it appeals although I haven’t been playing so many CGs recently!  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Nice hat!  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Perhaps “Sins of the Fathers” was confusing to some who were thinking GK1.  It caught me up for a second.

This was one of the first Casual Games I played and I think it’s an excellent introduction to the genre.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I liked it too. A good solid game with atmosphere, a strong story and if I recall correctly, some decent puzzles.

Also you play as a guy in this one which, while not unheard of, is not the norm in casual games. From reading bigfish reviews, some guys liked the change.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Why is it that so many casual games have good but similar graphics? Aren’t there many companies that try to stand out with their graphics???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 18 December 2015 03:30 PM

Why is it that so many casual games have good but similar graphics? Aren’t there many companies that try to stand out with their graphics???

I would beg to differ. Although, perhaps you are basing your opinion on the specific scenes I chose for the AGSotD. I’ll grant that this screenshot looks like a Sacra Terra screenshot I posted a few weeks ago.

But this looks nothing like Angelica Weaver. Which looked nothing like Enigmatis. Which looked nothing like Four Horsemen. Which looked nothing like Puppetshow. Which looked nothing like ....... you get the drift.

Aside from the color palette used, I have to say that many of the “retro/pixelated” adventures of recent years bear a strong similarity to each other.

I will say that some developers have a distinctive style that varies little from game to game. ERS Games fits that definition. And the fact that it probably puts out more games than any other developer probably doesn’t help if you are looking for some variety.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I’m hardly an expert on casual games, but the ones I have played, have all looked more or less similar, with different variations over the same overall graphical style. There are of course also differences, but they still seem much more uniform than the many completely different graphical styles we see in modern adventure games.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I would argue that at the very least they all use similar hue and lighting filters and achieve similar effects that way. The only real exceptions are Drawn and Emerald City Confidential (and even Drawn uses similar lighting effects, imo).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I guess I can take part of the blame for that. As I’m going through a game, it’s the dark, brooding scene that often catches my eye. The large Gothic architecture-inspired structures, often accompanied by a brightly moonlit sky, usually in the Fall as the trees have no leaves.

The adjectives that come to my mind are massive, foreboding, impressive, stable, bleak, intimidating plus others.

Perhaps I should try to include more colorful, brightly lit scenes. There are several that come to mind as I write this. But in all honesty, they belong to games and/or game types that I do not enjoy playing. Although I suppose there is nothing wrong with not liking a game. Cadenza is a good example. Although in that case, I had a reason for not liking it, but thought the graphics were OK. But again, there was undoubtedly a brighter scene available.

EDIT: Don’t know why you edited out all the links. Other than I don’t think they either confirm or deny your premise. They certainly confirm my tendency towards “dark” subjects. Smile Putting them in, in a way that you have to click on each individual word in your post in order to see them makes me want to slap that Santa hat right off your head.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I guess the reason that most CGs look almost the same in graphics is because they (the developers) all use the same tool: Spark Casual Engine. Have you notice that?

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Over the years of playing Hidden Object games and watching player’s comments, I’ve received the impression that most casual gamers don’t like stylized or cartoon-like graphics (though Drawn was an exception to that) and they really don’t like keyboard controls. If you insist on sticking to point-and-click, you are less likely to play any game with 3D graphics. So that leaves 2D graphics featuring “illustrated realism.”

It’s unusual to see a lot of direct sunlight with realistic shadows in HO games—instead there’s frequent mistiness—that might be due to the Spark Casual Engine that UruBoo mentioned.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 18 December 2015 07:00 PM

EDIT: Don’t know why you edited out all the links.

I didn’t edit them out. That’s how I wrote them in - I write BBCode directly. Wink

Putting them in, in a way that you have to click on each individual word in your post in order to see them makes me want to slap that Santa hat right off your head.

I was just making a point. Lightly. Tongue
Looks like it worked. Grin

UruBoo - 19 December 2015 06:07 AM

I guess the reason that most CGs look almost the same in graphics is because they (the developers) all use the same tool: Spark Casual Engine. Have you notice that?

Well, that explains a lot…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Here’s an interesting interview with the engine developer.

Of note is the fact that the first game developed using the engine is one of our favorites: Enigmatis: Ghosts of Maple Creek.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top