• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelrtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 11 December

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

There are many reasons to recommend Cadenza - Music, Betrayal and Death. There are also a number of reasons to stay as far away from this game as you can.

The developer of Cadenza is Mad Head Games. I like them quite a lot. But here they undertook a storyline that is out of their sphere of knowledge. The company is headquartered in Serbia, which is neither good nor bad. Unfortunately, it’s probably fair to say that nobody directly involved in designing the game had first-hand knowledge of immediate pre- and post WWII New Orleans. (Other than from movies, television shows and, perhaps, phtographs depicting that era.) And that shows.

The game’s background music is very, very good. But it is reminiscent of the “Big Band Era” of Goodman, Miller and Ellington, and not the jazz that is unique to the New Orleans music style.

The graphics are very nice, but outdoor scenes fail to make use of iconic New Orleans landmarks. That, to me, is almost criminal because it deprives the player of any intimacy. If a player could look at a scene and say, “I know that place,” if only vicariously, involvement in the game is greatly enhanced. As an add-on to this complaint, there is an interactive map, but only two streets, Canal Street and Bienville, represent actual streets in New Orleans. That’s just lazy. Again, it deprives the player of real vs. imagined immersion in the environment.

Voice acting is barely passable. It’s not that there are mumbles, or bad translations or anything like that. It’s that whatever voice actors the developers hired “attempted” to speak an African/American, New Orleans Southern, period-specific dialect without having any clue what they were doing. (I’m sorry if this is first-hand knowledge, but I traveled to NOLA at least three times a year for close to twenty years, and this is not how the residents talk.) Again, this is either lazyness or a perverse sort of pragmatism in that the developers figured nobody would know the dialect, so who cares if it’s wrong.

Now I know that many players really liked this game. For some time it was a fairly-popular nominee on the Casual Community Playthrough thread. I admit that I never voted for it. (Recent events in Chicago, my home town, require me to state this as a form of “transparency.”) That’s so you know that I am not a big fan of this game, which I also stated at the beginning of the post.

The thing that bothers me most, and up front, this is my personal opinion, is that the depicition of black characters, which are a majority of characters in the game, is borderline racist. Whether it’s the bad dialect, or the fact that a white character must intervene on several occasions to save the day for a black protagonist. It just doesn’t give me a warm/fuzzy feeling.

I’m not saying that Mad Head Games is racist. I am saying that they were totally out of their element when designing this game. I know there are several other games in the series, of which this was the first. I’ve not played any of them. Perhaps things have improved on all fronts. I don’t plan on playing them to find out.

This game has annoyed me for a long time. You will find similar comments on the Casual Games thread. This game has been on the schedule for quite a while, and I kept pushing it back because the use of the word racist has horrible connotations. But stuff that is going on in my home town made this post appropriate.

I am sorry if anyone is offended.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 10 December 2015 11:50 PM

It’s that whatever voice actors the developers hired “attempted” to speak an African/American, New Orleans Southern, period-specific dialect without having any clue what they were doing. (I’m sorry if this is first-hand knowledge, but I traveled to NOLA at least three times a year for close to twenty years, and this is not how the residents talk.) Again, this is either lazyness or a perverse sort of pragmatism in that the developers figured nobody would know the dialect, so who cares if it’s wrong.

So basically, Tim Curry in GK1 all over again?

I am sorry if anyone is offended.

I don’t see how anyone would be.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Similarly, I find it very hard to enjoy certain games that take place in New York City. Because I’ve lived there, and I can see all the inaccuracies. Even the small things drive me crazy. Getting it right seems to happen only if the developers have lived in NYC or if they’ve done a ton of research.

And, same thing that Tim mentioned, why do so many games set in New York mostly show the insides of apartments or other buildings, instead of the more interesting landmarks?

I’m assuming this is also an issue for people who live in other cities that frequently appear in games.

Does this mean developers should only use “real life” game settings if they’ve lived in that particular place? Is it impossible to get the culture right unless you have intimate knowledge of a place?

And as for a southern accent—it’s almost impossible to get right unless you’ve lived in the south. It’s just so easy to overdo it.

Total Posts: 5595

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Accents are difficult to get right for any non-native speaker, and in each region, there are significant smaller pockets of differences that only a person living there would have experienced.  New Jersey is a small state, but there are distinctive differences between the north, the west and the south.  I doubt it’s a matter of laziness for a game developer, but more like what’s available that sounds right to them based on their budget.

I played Cadenza and enjoyed the game, but then I don’t have first hand knowledge of the city.  As Becky said, it would take tons of research to get it right, and that may be beyond the abilities of a small company.  Does that mean that they shouldn’t even attempt setting a game in a different location?  In my opinion, variety is welcome, even if the results aren’t perfect.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I’m one of those who really liked the game. I did not think it was racist but I am not black so what I think probably does not matter. You play as a black woman and you do most of the heavy lifting throughout the game. You are helped and hindered by a mix of both blacks and whites.

What I thought was odd was that the characters in the game, except you, are somewhat morally ambiguous. The story was a strong part of the game and the characters’ motivations propelled the story.

And no, Tim, I am not offended either by your well stated and knowledgeable opinion.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Having lived and worked in many cities and states in the U.S. and overseas, it irritates me too when accents are all wrong.  I can pretty much tell which part of a state an authentic speaker is from and certainly the difference between a New York and New Jersey accent, which is another pet peeve of mine.

The most authentic Nawlins’ (which is how it’s pronounced by the locals) patois I’ve ever heard in a game is the Narrator’s voice in GK1.  It’s one of the things that made me love that game and I could listen to it all day.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top