• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 10 August 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I guess it’s time to come out of the closet and say that I like Mask of Eternity. I liked it when I first played it at the time of its release, and I liked it every time I’ve replayed it since then (including a few months ago).

It’s not without faults. Like all early 3D games, it’s looks absolutely awful. The dialogue is pure tushery, an endless stream of lo’s and hark’s and yonder’s delivered with exaggerated British accents. (The credits say Roberta Williams wrote the dialogue, but I find it hard to imagine she didn’t remember how the characters speak in her world.) And the second level (the one with the skeletons) is kind of obnoxious.

But that being said, it’s a fun game. It makes a great use of space, making exploration really fun, it has some nice challenges mixing action and some mild puzzles, and the settings are varied and interesting. Mask of Eternity is not an adventure game, and it’s certainly not King’s Quest, but it’s a pretty good 3D action adventure RPG.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I think that this game is the perfect example of bad design decisions. Pretty much every aspect of it had me asking “Why, why on earth have you done this?!”

This game would have fared better if it hadn’t been released under the King’s Quest banner and I cannot understand why it was.

There is nothing King’s Quest about this game, not the same people, not the same places, not even vaguely the same type of game. Whilst I - VII varied a fair bit, there was still the same sort of “feel” to them all but this is trampled on here.

If they had ignored the KQ part and released it on PS1 as a “dungeon crawler” type game then it may have acheived being an average and not terrible game, despite the things you mention about graphics, insanely stupid writing and, I will add, stupid control scheme!

However, all it ends up being is a massive let down to fans of the series and an eccentric, at best, Action RPG game, which tried to pander to another section of gamers who, on the whole, were not exactly clammering for a sequal.

[/personal opinion!]

Still a good choice for a scene of the day though and I will admit to having played it through to completion twice, so clearly I was able to enjoy it on some level!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

LOL I’m kind of surprised you like MoE, Kuru.

I only played the demo. I liked the concept but just simply never came around to playing the game. But I can imagine it being enjoyable if people look past certain flaws.

Funny thing is that outlets like IGN and Gamespot gave it pretty favorable, not outstanding, ratings.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ve always “defended” this one - it IS King’s Quest which reflected trends at a time, but also a multi-genre game which are the hardest to design right. I can understand all the disappointment and it’s not a perfect game, but I believe the whole deal about it is a big misunderstanding.

As for the game itself, I know where Kuru is coming when talking of the second level - I didn’t progress further myself (I will, one of these days…) and I believe the game would again scare the $#^% out of me - it has really ominous atmosphere but I think that’s exactly part of its quality.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

this Game Shouldn’t Be referred to as an Adventure , it has more Deaths Than Puzzles, Silent Hill the original release on PS, had more adventuring than this one.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top