• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 27 November

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

A few weeks ago I posted a screenshot for Death on the Nile. It was one of the first casuals that attempted to incorporate some semblance of plot into what otherwise was a hidden object game.

The above screenshot is from Amazing Adventures - Forgotten Dynasty. It’s a true hidden object game, The type that is derided by many. It was put out by Spin Top Games in 2011. However, similar Amazing Adventure games go back as far as 2007. While my first forays into adventure games started with KQ1 and Codename: Iceman, which preceeded HO casual gaming by more than a decade, I didn’t dislike this new form of entertainment.

I didn’t play them frequently, but they did offer some things that regular adventures of the day didn’t. First, they had stunning high-resolution graphics. Second, they could be completed in a “relatively” short period of time. And third, they had a scoring system that let you to explore your competitive nature should you so wish.

I haven’t played an Amazing Adventures game in a very long time. (I had to re-download it to grab the above screenshot.) But, rather than grab the first screen that came up, I continued to play looking for a better one. I settled on this one, but by that time I had racked up a bit more than 800,000 points. (The game is still loaded, and I’m at or around 2-million points.) So even though I think I have gone onto better things, the addictive nature of this type of game is still there.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I hadn’t heard of this series before—I downloaded the demo and played in a ways. I must not have a competitive nature, because scoring points didn’t make any difference to me. It’s sometimes intriguing to look back at the past and see what a genre offered years ago. But I prefer the more recent HO games with lots of interactivity in the HO screens. These were surprisingly difficult, though—some of the items are extremely well hidden.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! I admit to being a bit compulsive as well as competitive.

I just couldn’t help myself. And I guess the game took a little longer than I remembered as well.  Naughty

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Nice score! 

From now on I know that when I think a game has lots of HO screens, and you don’t remember there being so many, it’s because you’re completing them in a fourth of the time that it takes me.  Crazy

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There actually is a method to scoring that seems counter-intuitive until you understand it. If you click on each object individually you earn 2000 points. 20,000 for the entire scene. But if you click on each one in rapid succession (no more than 3 seconds between clicks) you earn an accelerating bonus. 2000 points for the first click, 2000 points + 1000 points for the second click, all the way to 2000 points + 9000 points for the tenth click. Total for the scene is 65,00 points plus whatever other bonuses are available.

The counter-intuitive part is hurrying because you see the time elapsing. Forget about it! Use half of it if you need to. Just find all the objects. Rehearse it a few times. And blast them all in 30 seconds.

Lombardi - “Winning isn’t everything. It’s the only thing.”  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top