• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 13 November

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

I’m not sure whether I’m treading on Diego’s Hybrid turf. But here goes. 

Emerald City Confidential has never had a place to call home. I think of it as a very sophisticated casual game.

AG reviewed it in 2009. (You can find the Emerald City Confidential review here.)

My opinion is that neither the reviewer nor the commentators thought of this as a real adventure game despite the fact that they place it in that genre.

It may not be totally fair, but I think the review and most of the comments thought of the game as a sophomoric adventure.

Sophisticated casual
Sophomoric adventure

You can see where I think the term Hybrid might come into play.

Regardless of the genre into which you decide to place the game, it is a wonderful game.

The Emerald City is, of course, the land of Oz. You will meet familiar characters, although with hard to decipher pseudonyms such as Dee Gale. Roughly translated as Dorothy of Tornado fame. Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion also appear. Some favorably depicted. Some not.

There are no HO scenes, which is why some may categorize this as an adventure. The puzzles are not terribly difficult, and the game is relatively short by advenure standards. Which is why some may think of this as a casual.

I think of this game as similar to any of the Drawn games. You could make a case for those either way as well. Me? I’m going to come down on the side of casual.

If you are looking for light adventure…or if you are looking for challenging casual… this is a game you must play.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

It is also the very first game by Wadget Eye that I ever played! Smile
Very good game of course, with very characteristic graphic style and good in both storyline and chatacter development.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

rtrooney - 12 November 2015 09:01 PM

Sophisticated casual
Sophomoric adventure

Those sound like two fashion styles   Smile

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This game successfully treads the line between casual and adventure and is a good starting point if you’ve played adventures and are curious about casuals. The graphics are colorful and stylized and (at least as far as I remember) not pixelated. The writing is excellent. It’s a highly creative exploration of the world of The Wizard of Oz with new “takes” on characters we know well, plus some novel characters and places.

I remember when I played it that the puzzles seemed less difficult than in traditional adventure games. But with the current trend in some adventures toward easier puzzles (or lots of story and fewer puzzles) maybe it’s now more in the mainstream.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve always thought of this as an adventure-light game.  It was fun to play but not very difficult.  I liked the characters and the settings, and the story was decent, too.  The Mac version had a couple of scenes with the characters minus the background, but otherwise it was a nice little gem - emerald, of course. Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I really loved this game. It’s a bit on the easy side (but then a lot of recent games are on the easy side) but the remix of the Land of Oz lore is a lot of fun.

I wouldn’t call it a casual adventure game though because then I’d have to call relatively easy games like Broken Age casual.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

giom - 13 November 2015 11:18 AM

I wouldn’t call it a casual adventure game though because then I’d have to call relatively easy games like Broken Age casual.

Well, that’s slightly misleading. Emerald City is far less difficult than games like Broken Age (whose second part was really difficult, especially with all the wiring puzzles) and its HO screens can characterize it as a high production casual.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Yeah, it was a bit tongue in cheek Smile and you’re right about the second part of Broken Age but it’s also true that lately a lot of games have been more centered on the story and less on the puzzles.  Even great games like the latest Broken Sword felt for the most part easier than the first episodes.

Whenever I play older games I get stuck far more often.

I don’t remember any HO screens in Emerald City (I hate Hidden Object games with a passion so I hope I’d remember)

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

giom - 13 November 2015 11:48 AM

I don’t remember any HO screens in Emerald City (I hate Hidden Object games with a passion so I hope I’d remember)

I think there were some (mind you, I also hate them) but not in the traditional term. Since there are many years since I played it, I could be wrong here.

EDIT: Just noticed that rtrooney wrote there are none, so I’ll take his opinion as granted. Still, the game has many elements to categorize it as a high -production casual.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2015-11-11

PM

What? no attention for today’s nature

Image Attachments

emeraldcity13th.jpg

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

What said casual for me was collecting those gems. Other than that I thought it was a very well-done but easy adventure game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Azazil - 13 November 2015 05:36 PM

What? no attention for today’s nature

I will be honest. The thought never occurred to me. Today’s screenshot was put on the schedule at least three months ago. And, at that time, I had no idea that today was going to be Friday the 13th. Wednesday, the 11th, was Veterans Day in the US. Remembrance Day in Canada. I don’t know if there is a similar holiday in other parts of the world. And it doesn’t bother me at all that the Wednesday AGSotD was not military oriented. In fact, I am pleased it was not.

We all do what we do. I’m sorry you were disappointed. If sometime in the future Casual Friday falls on a day with some significance, and I am aware of it far enough in advance, and there is a game that I think will work within the theme, I’ll try to fit it in.

I appreciate your comment. Nice graphic!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 13 November 2015 08:58 PM

What said casual for me was collecting those gems. Other than that I thought it was a very well-done but easy adventure game.

As Becky said, this is a real fence sitter. I prefer to think of this as a casual game. I know that the first Drawn game made the AG top 100. I don’t remember if AG thought of it as an adventure or a casual. We do know that the Drawn trilogy was played in sequence as a CCPT. So at least those players accepted Drawn1, 2 and 3 as a casual games.

Sefir moderated the first Drawn. Lady K led the second, and I did the third. I don’t recall any of us receiving comments that said we were crossing the line between casual and adventure.

If, come this Sunday, somebody nominates this game for the next CCPT, I will both accept the nomination as a casual, I will also vote for it.

You think of this as adventure, I think of it as casual. I wish there were more games like this.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Yes in the end it doesn’t matter if it’s an adventure light or a casual game. It’s a great game and like you I wish there were more game like it.

I never really followed the CCPT because in my mind casual = Hidden Object games which I loath but in that case maybe I should take a look.
I did play Drawn once but didn’t really like it much…

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2015-11-11

PM

rtrooney - 13 November 2015 09:12 PM

I appreciate your comment. Nice graphic!

Thanks rtRooney, glad you took my comment with good spirit and open heart, (not as, and without mentioning venus) OP posters would jump all over me, thinking or even getting angry that i embarrassed them (as they would claim), or whatever other stupid things that would eat their brains out when dealing with similar situations !!

thanks again rtrooney, i think I am gonna like my time here, you seem all like a nice bunch of people around here.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Emerald City Confidential was nominated for the next Casual Community Playthrough (CCPT)

See the voting thread for more information.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top