• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 11 November

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Today’s screenshot is from my absolutely favourite puzzle in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

The object is quite simple, you are in a house and you have to walk through the different rooms until you find something - Sounds simple enough, right?

Well, there is a catch!

The doorways are not simply doorways, but instead some sort of portals that can lead to any other room in the house, and just simply walking through them will cause you to walk in circles and quickly get completely disorientated.
By clicking on the portal, you can however swap the portal so it leads to another room, so the objective here is that you have to arrange all of the portals/rooms, so that the doorways lead to the correct room, that is the one that is physical suppose to be at the other side of the doorway. Or in other words, until it acts just like a normal house with normal doorways.

You can solve this puzzle purely by trial & error, perhaps combined with some common sense of how rooms in a house are normally arranged, but doing so would take thousands of tries, so there are of course also some clues to help you. I won’t reveal what they are, just that you have to make the connection between the clues and this puzzle yourself, and it either requires a very good visual memory or some detailed note taking.

Another thing I like about this puzzle, is that it apart from being able to swap the rooms, then it is never explained to you how the puzzle actually works or what the objective is. In fact you can just stumble into the house, walk around a bit and then get that wtf is going on here moment, and end up leaving the house completely clueless. Then later you might get an eureka moment when you suddenly realise how you were suppose to solve this puzzle.

In fact wtf moments and leaving the player completely clueless, is probably what this games does best.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Hated the puzzle, because I have a poor visual memory and the areas of the house were too similar. Didn’t like the game overall, because it was mostly empty space. A shame because it could have been good in Myst-fashion slideshow mode. I don’t know why games feel the need to include vast areas of nothingness when they are still basically traditional adventure games.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 12 November 2015 02:35 AM

Hated the puzzle, because I have a poor visual memory and the areas of the house were too similar.

Well that is why pen and paper was invented Tongue

Didn’t like the game overall, because it was mostly empty space. A shame because it could have been good in Myst-fashion slideshow mode. I don’t know why games feel the need to include vast areas of nothingness when they are still basically traditional adventure games.

I think it would have been absolutely horrible as a node based or slideshow game, at the very least they would have to reduce the size by a factor 100 (yes there is a lot of empty space), otherwise it would be impossible to navigate. And doing so would mean that it lost absolutely everything that made it special - but I guess if you hated the game that would be a positive thing Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 12 November 2015 10:31 AM

Hated the puzzle, because I have a poor visual memory and the areas of the house were too similar.

Well that is why pen and paper was invented Tongue

You want me to draw each screen in its entirety? That is more dedication than this game deserves. And it’s also more than I had to do in any Myst game or any of its harder relatives.

I think it would have been absolutely horrible as a node based or slideshow game, at the very least they would have to reduce the size by a factor 100 (yes there is a lot of empty space), otherwise it would be impossible to navigate. And doing so would mean that it lost absolutely everything that made it special - but I guess if you hated the game that would be a positive thing Wink

It’s not special. I can list dozens of games which you walk around aimlessly large areas looking for something (and not finding it).

I’ll give it one thing - it’s deliciously pretty. The graphics design team can have some candy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top