• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 6 November

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

While many casual games seem to start with a car crash, Fright is a bit different. There’s a crash all right. But you’re not driving. You’re a sole passenger on a bus that crashes. Hey! A little innovation is good.

Also contrary to most casual games where you might have a momentary interaction with other characters, and then they’re gone, in this game you have ongoing interaction with the six other main characters in the game. None of which seem to be emotionally stable.

All of the activity takes place within a tight environment. There is the motel which is within walking distance of the crash site. The home next to the motel is occupied by the motel owners and their daughter. And there is a small cornfield adjacent to the house.

I wouldn’t call the game terror filled because there aren’t any Psycho-styled moments. But there is a sense of unease that permeates the game. And there is one character in the game who is not who that person appears to be.

In one scene your character is trying to break into the house, and there is a tangible fear of getting caught. Although that is totally irrational because it’s “only a game” as my wife would say. And even if you did get caught…so what? The game won’t stop, and you won’t be out the $$ you paid. But, the fear is still there.

I bought the CE version of this game. It’s hard for me to say whether it was worth the extra money because it didn’t add to the game’s ending, but it did offer a strange way of looking at what went on during the game.

If you’ve ever seen the 1965 movie The Collector starring Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar, you know that the first half of the movie is told through the eyes of a kidnapped woman. The second half is told through the eyes of the kidnapper. Obviously their impressions of what is going on differ greatly.

The bonus game offers a look at that type of dichotomy. One of the characters in the SE version will be viewed by most players as the villain. The bonus game though, allows us to look at what happened through this character’s eyes. And there seems to be much more at play than we thought.

An enjoyable game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Nice description. This is one that has staying power. I still think about it sometimes. The setting is different, the HO scenes are different, and there’s a satisfyingly twisty story.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

A good game! I haven’t played the CE but in the regular version there are subtle indications towards the end that things are not quite the way they seem. I need to replay this one.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sounds like a prime candidate for a CPT. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I was going to say the same thing. The current CCPT is drawing to a close. We’ll probably need to reopen the voting thread within a week or so,

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 06 November 2015 11:13 AM

A good game! I haven’t played the CE but in the regular version there are subtle indications towards the end that things are not quite the way they seem. I need to replay this one.

Hang onto that replay for a bit. See Timovieman’s post and my reply.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Tim for the screenshot & the description - I’m tempted & the bonus chapter in the CE version seems interesting!  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I plan on opening a new CCPT vote on either this coming Saturday or Sunday.

It is a good game. Perhaps someone will nominate it.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top