• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Thursday 5 November

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Doctor Who and his companions
Star in this adventure
Far from a lost treasure
Only good for big Whovians
“It’s not for consoles!” you say
Oh… It slipped past me
This is only for PC

Hip, hip, hooorray?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The best thing about Matt Smith’s Doctor, imo, is that he’s accompanied by the gorgeous Karen Gillan. Sadly, the game doesn’t do her justice. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The best thing about Matt Smith’s Doctor is that it’s over, thank God.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

As a complete Doctor Who ignorant I thought Matt Smith was a popular choice. The more you know! (Or maybe I’m confusing him with David Tennant… )

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I know there were great bits during Smith’s tenure; I just can’t remember them because it’s all overshadowed in my mind by how unwatchable the show had become by the time he left. There’s hardly any element in the Doctor Who universe that they hadn’t run into the ground by the time his tenure ended.

(I feel the opposite about the Tennant years: I know there were some bad episodes, but I only remember the long, long streak of great ones.)

(Also you should watch Doctor Who. This year in particular has been really, really, really good.)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 05 November 2015 04:59 PM

As a complete Doctor Who ignorant I thought Matt Smith was a popular choice. The more you know! (Or maybe I’m confusing him with David Tennant… )

I think you’re confusing with Tennant (aka “The Awesome One” Cool).

Although I didn’t think the Matt Smith episodes were all that bad.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tennant name does feel more recognizable, but it does seem like the show became hugely popular in Matt Smith run (again, this is from an outside perspective).

Kurufinwe - 05 November 2015 05:54 PM

(Also you should watch Doctor Who. This year in particular has been really, really, really good.)

I’ve been meaning to but the number of episodes is a bit intimidating. What would be a good jumping point for the series? It is possible to just start with the current Doctor run and understand what is going or it’s necessary to go to the Eccleston or Tennant years?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 05 November 2015 07:42 PM

I’ve been meaning to but the number of episodes is a bit intimidating. What would be a good jumping point for the series? It is possible to just start with the current Doctor run and understand what is going or it’s necessary to go to the Eccleston or Tennant years?

You should start here, of course. Cool

I kid. It doesn’t matter that much. I originally jumped in on the second episode of a Matt Smith 2-parter near the end of a season, and had no real troubles.
I never went back to the earlier seasons, except for a few Tennant episodes that were recommended to me (like ‘Blink’). You may miss out on some details of the overarching story, but there are many standalone episodes anyway…

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ahh.. I’ve never seen Doctor Who. Is it similar to Doctor House?!

(just kiddin’, just kiddin’ Tongue )

And David Tennant has such a comedic face, though he was surprisingly good in Einstein and Eddington in a serious role.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Personally I think that both the David Tennant and Matt Smith seasons where great, whereas the current doctor with Peter Capaldi isn’t quite to my taste. The 50th anniversary special with John Hurt (and David Tennant and Matt Smith) was however one of the best episodes ever!

wilco - 05 November 2015 07:42 PM

As Timovieman said, it doesn’t really matter that much. Personally I would start with the first Matt Smith episode with is also the first episode with Karen Gillan, and in many ways the most “fresh start from scratch” point.
And if you like it, go back and also watch the Tennant episodes.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 06 November 2015 03:46 AM

But if you’re going that far back, you can take the Eccleston episodes as well, as he only did one season (13 episodes)...

Also: this. Tongue

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 06 November 2015 04:12 AM
Iznogood - 06 November 2015 03:46 AM

But if you’re going that far back, you can take the Eccleston episodes as well, as he only did one season (13 episodes)...

Sure, but that season is simply not as good as the seasons with David Tennant, but it does have the advantage that Rose played by Billie Piper starts in the Eccleston episodes.

And since I have nothing better to do, here is a little cavalcade of the doctors companions, from the current Dr. Who series:

Billie Piper as Rose Tyler
Main companion for Eccleston’s doctor and the first season of Tennant, and also for some of Tennant’s third season and a couple of other appearances in Tennants years.
Also plays “The Moment / Bad Wolf” in The 50th anniversary special.
Together with Karen Gillan and Jenna Coleman probably the most famous of the Doctors companions.

John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness also know as The Face of Boe, a time travelling agent from the 51st century.
Started in a single episode with Eccleston, and companion for Tennant in several episodes. Later got his own spin-off series Torchwood.

Noel Clarke as Mickey Smith, Rose’s boyfriend. Never the primary companion but joins Rose and the Doctor in several episodes.

Catherine Tate as Donna Noble “The Runaway Bride”. Did one season as main companion with Tennant, probably the most comical of the Doctors companions.

Freema Agyeman as Dr. Martha Jones an actual doctor (or at least medical student). Did one season as main companion to Tennant. Also a couple of appearances in later episodes now as a member of Unit, and in the spin-off series Torchwood.

Karen Gillan as Amy Pond “The girl that waited”. 3 Seasons with Matt Smith as the doctor, and probably both the best and the most well know of the doctors companions.
Also the only of the doctors companions to actually die in the series. Cry

Arthur Darvill as Rory Williams. Amy’s boyfriend and later husband. Never the primary companion, but joins Amy and the Doctor in many of the episodes, also dies together with Amy.

Alex Kingston as Dr. River Song, Another time traveller that keeps meeting the Doctor in reverse order, the first time the Doctor meets Dr. River is actually the last time she see him and vice versa. First appeared in one of the episodes with David Tennant, and later in many of the episodes with Matt Smith.
As it later turns out she is actually the Doctors Wife, and to make things even more complicated Amy Ponds daughter Melody Pond who was kidnapped by The Silence before she was even born, and if that isn’t complicated enough she is also Amy’s childhood friend who she named her daughter after!
Don’t you just love the intricacies of time travel Wink

Jenna Coleman as Clara Oswald aka “The Impossible Girl” the current Dr. who companion.
First made a couple of appearances while Amy was the companion, then took over as the primary companion for one season with Matt Smith, and is currently on her second season with Peter Capaldi.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Well, I’m convinced, going to check it out. Local tv seems to be playing Season 7, I think I’ll just watch a couple of episodes from there.

Completely off-topic but is it possible in todays age to not have these series available digitally everywhere? (legally)

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

As a big fan of the original series, I felt Matt Smith’s run (while it featured some poor stories towards the end) restored a lot of what had been special about Doctor Who that had been lost during Russell T Davies’ tenure. Tennant’s a fine actor, I’ve liked him a lot in other things, and some of his episodes are terrific (Blink and Human Nature spring to mind) - but I didn’t like the direction the series took with him. He’s a much more typical ‘hero’ type than the Doctor had been before, and reducing the dynamic with each companion to the standard ‘will they/won’t they’ that you can find in pretty much any show with both male and female leads didn’t help. Smith (and Steven Moffat as writer) stepped back from that, trimmed back the introspection, put a lot of the eccentricity and flavour back in. So I’d say if you want to try the new series then start from Smith’s first episode.

More recently Moffat has lost his way a bit, I think - there’s a tendency to wallow in backstory to the detriment of solid individual episodes - and much as I love Peter Capaldi I suspect they still haven’t quite figured out what to do with him. I’ve enjoyed the last few episodes, though.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 06 November 2015 08:33 AM

Completely off-topic but is it possible in todays age to not have these series available digitally everywhere? (legally)

What’s wrong with Netflix?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 November 2015 10:08 AM
wilco - 06 November 2015 08:33 AM

What’s wrong with Netflix?

Nothing, it’s excellent, except it doesn’t have Doctor Who in my country.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top