• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Tuesday, 3 November

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I pondered for some time whether to include Dark Earth in here. I’m kinda closing my eyes a bit, but when you look at it - it’s definitely NOT a RPG adventure, and even though it’s pretty heavy on combat, the main means of advancing are still exploration/puzzles and dialog trees.

Dark Earth is one of the most intriguing and original stories ever told in a computer game.  It takes place several centuries in the future, when a meteor collision with Earth (referred to as the “Great Cataclysm”) has thrown up great clouds of ash and dust, blocking out the light of the sun. Those not killed in the collision were soon hunted by strange creatures of darkness, and so they began to seek a refuge from the “Dark Earth” - pockets of land where the light of the sun breached the clouds. Eventually they found such places. Called “Stallites”, these places of light became cities, and the survivors built temples in honor of the light. The game is set in a Stallite called Sparta.

The graphics were ahead of its time, and it had a similar concept to Little Big Adventure where the main character changes moods (light and dark mode). The unique feature is that Arkhan is under the curse, under which he gradually succumbs to the creature of darkness (even the voice actor changes). The sequel never materialized, but its impact, with blend of genres where the accent is still on the story perhaps felt far into the next decade.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

This game sounds impressive, I will definitely try it !

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

This is one game that I never finished but that I always wanted to finish…

Thanks for reminding me, I’ll have to put it higher up on my backlog

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top