• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday, 26 October

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Rob Blanc - Better Days of a Defender of the Universe

This is the first AGS game I ever played and is one of the earliest completed games that got any notice outside the community back in 2001.

I think that quite a lot of people who hate AGS games (and it isn’t an entirely uncommon view) hate them because this sort of game is what pops into their minds when they think about AGS. It’s very short and if it looks like it was made using MS Paint by a teenager in his bedroom, then that is basically because it was.

This game is the first in a series of 3 by the now internet-famous Ben “Yahtzee” Crowshaw.  I can completely understand why some people (perhaps most people) will take one look at a screenshot or two and decide that this isn’t for them but for me, simple though it is, it is lots of fun and a reminder of a time when suddenly it was possible to make your own adventure game without having to properly learn to code!

You play Rob Blanc, a chip shop worker from England who is somehow selected to become the defender of the universe. Your first task, to save an alien spacecraft which is under attack from… well, you’ll see!

The midi soundtrack is almost as garish as the eye burning colour scheme, the puzzles are simple, the premise is fun and the writing is comedic and not too shabby at all. Things did improve in the next two games in the series, becoming longer and more involved and the “trilogy” is certainly an amusing diversion for an afternoon.

To my mind it is a little piece of AGS history, capturing a moment in time of a young community of would be game developers with a developing DOS based engine with all the enthusiasm and experimentation that involves.

So anyway, have you played Rob Blanc? Does the very sight of it together with my rose-tinted nonsense reinforce your hatred for AGS? Or is it simply something that doesn’t interest you at all?!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Downloaded from the AGS site but doesn’t seem to work with Win10, any other way?

I mostly only know his work from the videos where he reviews destroys other games. They were entertaining for a while.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hmmm, not sure about Windows 10, you might do best using Dosbox or similar although I haven’t actually tried that. Meh Otherwise compatibility settings might do it.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Intense Degree - 26 October 2015 10:16 AM

Does the very sight of it together with my rose-tinted nonsense reinforce your hatred for AGS? Or is it simply something that doesn’t interest you at all?!

I thought that after the Cat Lady AGCP there were no AGS haters left in these forums…. Tongue

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Intense Degree - 27 October 2015 07:24 AM

Hmmm, not sure about Windows 10, you might do best using Dosbox or similar although I haven’t actually tried that. Meh Otherwise compatibility settings might do it.

Dosbox worked, thanks (Well, Dosbox is always the answer to problems Smile ).
Game is definitely rough on the eyes and really short but the worst offender was the music! Why Whigfield? Whyyy!?)  Shifty Eyed

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

wilco - 29 October 2015 07:10 PM

...Why Whigfield? Whyyy!

That’s the bit that makes me laugh the most! Laughing

Glad Dosbox worked, it’s kind of the DW40 for old games!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top