• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday, 25 October

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse is practically Broken Sword 1 with a slightly different setting and characters. And that’s alright. The formula where the mystery slowly unfolds, a dose of historical themes and once again, globetrotting adventure (AND - a goat!) packed in a cartoon style of the first two games, proved to be a winner. Although, the game does suffer from some usual “Kickstarter games” weaknesses - most noticeably, the rushed final quarter of the game, and the fact that in the Middle East (unlike BS1), you’re given only couple of screens with no real challenge, like you would expect (along with a lame ending). Also, couple of problems (like one with the goat) are spoiled by the designers themselves, before the player is given a chance to solve them. Still, the story, some really nice and varied puzzles and the overall quality make it probably the best crowdfunding game to date.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 26 October 2015 07:24 AM

make it probably the best crowdfunding game to date.

until Stasis came along Tongue

But I agree that BS5 was very enjoyable and above my expectations after BS3 and BS4. With the news that they started working on BS6 about the Grail and part set in Germany I’m very hopefull for the continuation of the series.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Yeah, I was really happy with BS5, proof that some of the “golden age” names still have strong quality games left in them, even if that proof is still awaited for others.

I don’t know if I would agree that the game is practically BS1, but the overall style and feel are certainly pointing that way and I agree that is a great thing.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Intense Degree - 26 October 2015 08:11 AM

I don’t know if I would agree that the game is practically BS1, but the overall style and feel are certainly pointing that way and I agree that is a great thing.

Of course, it’s a different game, but this is a funny comparison: both in BS1 and BS5 you:

- witness the sudden accident in Paris streets, which is the start of your adventure

- travel to Spain, to a hacienda, looking for a secret room where you need to light the candle in order to solve a centuries old mystery.

- travel to the Middle East

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It does a lot of stuff in common with the first game but going back to the roots for a structure is usually a good a idea for a franchise (Look at Jurassic World).

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 26 October 2015 07:57 AM
diego - 26 October 2015 07:24 AM

make it probably the best crowdfunding game to date.

until Stasis came along Tongue

or the Tesla Effect, Dead Synchronicity, J.U.L.I.A. Among The Stars and The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, and by the look of it so far probably also Dreamfall Chapters Tongue

But until those games came along, it WAS the best crowdfunded game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 26 October 2015 09:40 AM

Technically, Resonance was also a crowdfunded game. Wink Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 26 October 2015 09:47 AM

Damn it - I knew I had forgotten something Shifty Eyed

And Resonance predates BS5 - So BS5 was never the best crowdfunded game, but still in the top 10!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 26 October 2015 09:47 AM

I was going to do some praise on Broken Age, but your post made me realize that Resonance is indeed the superior crowdfunded game. By far.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top