• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 23 October

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

We are not going back to the very beginnings of casual games, but this is close. (The very beginning will come later!)

Above is a screenshot from Agatha Christie - Death on the Nile. It’s one step above plain hidden object games. That is it has a semblance of plot based on an Agatha Christie novel, But it is all woven around MANY hidden object screens such as the one depicted.

This is one of, I think, seven games in this series. Most were Poirot. A few were Marple.

Most interesting thing about these games is that they were produced by Oberon Games. Which many of you will recognize as the logo for the game production engine used by Jane Jensen after she left Sierra.

Strange and interesting that the first barely-plotted casual game series took place under the leadership of one of our most revered adventure game authors.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played Agatha Christie: Peril at End House by Oberon when I first started playing casual games, but I didn’t finish because it had too many HO screens. At that time, I suspect that developers thought that most casual gamers WANTED lots and lots of HO screens. Later games by Oberon—like the James Patterson Women’s Murder Club games—were much more adventure-like and very enjoyable.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

I really liked this game. Probably one of my first hidden obejcts games. The reason I played it was of course because of my love for Agatha.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have both of the AC games, and I remember having a difficult time seeing some of those small objects. 

As an aside, I think the first hidden object computer games may have been the I Spy series.  They were in book form first, then moved onto CDs.  The one I bought from eBay, I Spy Treasure Hunt, has a copyright date of 2001.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The game was released in 2007. Which is quite a bit later than the I Spy game you mentioned. Amazing Adventure - Lost Tomb was, I believe, released in 2005. It was strictly hidden object, but with a scoring system that lets you compete with other players. It was produced by Spin Top Games, and offered very high quality graphics and even a fairly nice soundtrack. That’s the game that I think of when I think of the origins of casual HO games. But then I never played the I Spy game, so I’m hardly in a position to judge.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top