• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 2 October

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

The Midnight Mysteries series is a bit unusual. The premise is that you take a speculated fact about an author and attempt to prove or disprove it based on the facts you uncover in the game. On the surface that sounds like an interesting challenge. And it is.

Unfortunately, as was the case in Midnight Mysteries - The Edgar Allan Poe Conspiracy, a scene from which is shown above, the quality of the execution didn’t match the quality of the concept. This particular game is one of the most HO scene-laden games that I’ve every played. (Excluding, of course, those early games where the hidden objects were the end unto themselves, with a little bit of competitive scoring coming into play just to keep things interesting.)

To be fair, this game is fairly old. And it was one of the initial attempts to attach a storyline to HO scenes, with an occasional rudimentary puzzle thrown in for good measure. And it succeeded in what it set out to do. So, it may not be fair to compare this game to casual games being produced today. I recall that I was quite impressed with it when I first played it.

Subsequent Midnight Mystery games in the series dealt with Emerson and the Salem Witch Trials, and Twain and his Life on the Mississippi. Both games were improvements over the original. Then things started to fall apart. Rather than continue with the author/writer-based concept, the series took a turn with historical figures such as Lincoln and Houdini. These games lacked the originality of the earlier games. Possibly because the historical figures were exactly that. There has been so much written about them, that finding that one unknown or speculated fact about them was a real stretch. And, not surprisingly, didn’t come off well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I played a couple of games from the Midnight Mysteries series, which I don’t remember anything about, but never played this one surprisingly as Edgar Allan Poe in the title would normally be of interest to me!  Smile

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This is quite a long game. In addition to the intro and finale, there are two chapters relating to Marie Roget, and one each, plus some filler for Gold Bug and Pit and the Pendulum. If you can grit your teeth through the endless HO scenes, it’s not a bad game. Certainly a good game for it’s time, although I really don’t enjoy it nearly as much as I did when I first played it. Grab it at a BFG BOGO sale.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve played all of the Midnight Mysteries games and enjoyed them well enough.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top