• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 23 September

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

This week the Midweek Puzzle will take a pause in favour of something else that I wanted to share with all of you.

When you live in a small country like Denmark and speak a language that is only spoken by a few million people, it is not often that you get to play games in your native language. Even games made in Denmark like the Hitman series and Limbo are made in English and targeted at an international audience instead of a domestic audience, and the chance of any foreign games being translated to Danish is infinitely close to zero Frown

But back in the nineties, during the golden age of AG, there were made a few adventure games in Danish Smile And the most famous was the CrossTown series, consisting of Giften (The Poison) from 1998 shown in the first screenshot, and Englen (The Angel) from 1999 shown in the second screenshot, both made by Deadline Games. Originally it was planned as a trilogy, but the second game Manipulatoren (The Manipulator) was never published, even though most of the artwork was completed.

I must admit that both story-wise, gameplay and puzzle-wise, I can only remember very little. Giften is I believe about a young female reporter, that stumbles upon a plot to poison the water supply mixed with some corruption plot, but I’m completely blank as to the plot in Englen. From what I can read it is centred around two persons, one who has been badly burned in a fire, and is sort of living in his own parallel world, and one of his caretakers, but I can’t actually remember any of that myself.

What I however do remember is the excellent and unusual graphics, a script of very high quality, and most important - some top-notch voice acting, where some famous Danish actors supplied the voices.

I might of course be a bit biased when it comes to the script and voice acting, simply because finally playing a game in Danish, hearing your native language in a game for the very first time, was such an unusual experience. So I might have been more lenient and less critical than normal, but as I recall it, they are both excellent games!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Artwork seems to be excellent. Were they translated to english?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Nope - They were translated to Swedish and I believe Norwegian, but not English.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Unfortunately I can’t see your pic Iznogood because my Malwarebytes has blocked Imgur ???? which also means that many of my pics on other threads are not currently showing up either.

EDIT: Sorted! The artwork’s interesting - I remember seeing some screenshots from Englen but don’t recognise the other game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top