• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday, 19 September

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

And the winner of “The longest awaited German to English localization” is Black Sails. They must have done a darn good job of translating it, as it took them 5 years to do so.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 19 September 2015 10:32 AM

They must have done a darn good job of translating it, as it took them 5 years to do so.

No, they did not. Quote from a Steam player:

I already played this game in 2011. The German version is superb, great voice acting! I love the atmosphere and the story! Now I was thrilled to see how the English version is - and it’s kinda disappointing. Where is Annas voice-over introduction in the intro sequence? Why isn’t Anna reading the letters and notes out loud like in the German version? The font is just unreadable! Please fix this, dear developers. And without the intro-lines from Anna, English players don’t know that the story takes place in 1884 - and that’s kind of an important information to understand the background of the story and stuff. The voice-acting is ok - but not as awesome as the German one Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Is there an option for German speech and English subtitles and all that?

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

millenia - 19 September 2015 04:44 PM

there always are with Deck13, i played once a late English release for them that way,
i wouldn’t doubt it, as they are the publishers as well.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 19 September 2015 10:54 AM
diego - 19 September 2015 10:32 AM

They must have done a darn good job of translating it, as it took them 5 years to do so.

No, they did not. Quote from a Steam player:

I already played this game in 2011. The German version is superb, great voice acting! I love the atmosphere and the story! Now I was thrilled to see how the English version is - and it’s kinda disappointing. Where is Annas voice-over introduction in the intro sequence? Why isn’t Anna reading the letters and notes out loud like in the German version? The font is just unreadable! Please fix this, dear developers. And without the intro-lines from Anna, English players don’t know that the story takes place in 1884 - and that’s kind of an important information to understand the background of the story and stuff. The voice-acting is ok - but not as awesome as the German one Smile

I’ve started it and the intro does seem a bit rushed but it’s possible to understand what is going on. The font is a little difficult to make out but it’s not unreadable. The voices are ok, nothing special, but not terrible. The german ones do seem better.

Advie - 19 September 2015 04:55 PM
millenia - 19 September 2015 04:44 PM

there always are with Deck13, i played once a late English release for them that way,
i wouldn’t doubt it, as they are the publishers as well.

There is that option in this one? I don’t see it, I can start the game in English or German, but not German voices with english subtitles

I spoke too soon, it’s possible but not in game. Found in the Steam forums:

There is no option in the game but you can edit a file to achieve the same.
Go to MyDocuments\BlackSails and open the file “settings-user.ini” with an editor like notepad. If the settings-user.ini is not present start the game and change any setting from the options menu, the file will then be generated.
Look for the following lines (they are distributed in the first part of the file):
game_language_text = english
game_language_voice = english

To have the original German voices and English subtitles the two lines must read as follows:
game_language_text = english
game_language_voice = german

It works, just tried it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

isn’t it just great, putting your trust in a developer? Smile
thanks Wilco for clarifying.

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 19 September 2015 07:32 PM