• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 16 September

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Today’s screenshot is from Syberia 2, which is also currently being played in the community playthrough.

Syberia 2 is better know for its story and the beautiful graphics, than it is for its puzzles, but there are also a couple of excellent puzzles (and a couple of not so excellent ones), and this one is my personal favourite from the game. One thing I like about the puzzle design in the game is that they are what I call subtle puzzles, and what I mean by that is that they are usually not hinted very heavily, which is probably a result of the fact that the game hasn’t got an outright look function.

In almost every other game, if you clicked on the above screenshot, the protagonist would say something like “There are the berries I’m looking for, but they are frozen in solid ice, how do I get them out?”, and if clicking on the lemming “Hey, perhaps this little guy can help me, if I ...”, but not in Syberia. All you get is the visual clues and you have to make the connections yourself, instead of getting verbal hints and confirmations that you are on the right or wrong track - and I quite like that.

The puzzle itself is also not quite as simple as it look. You have to force / encourage / help the lemming to crawl through the tunnels, but in order to do so you both have manipulate the environment close by this puzzle, and you have to find different inventory items and use them correctly. It is however also a puzzle that you can solve step by step, undoing and resetting individual steps that you might have gotten wrong, giving you plenty of opportunity to experiment, and see the result of different actions, instead of having to solve the whole thing in one go.

So even if it is perhaps not the most famous or the best puzzle in the history of adventure games, it is imo still a very well designed puzzle, that incorporates many different puzzle elements or types into one.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I loved this puzzle as well. Unless a puzzle in the final act tops this one, it’ll be my favourite puzzle out of both Syberia games. Cool

It’s very well-designed and well-layered, and I fully endorse this AGSotD! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

If I had one complaint about the puzzle, it is that the water is too far from this screen so if you pour the water incorrectly, you will have to trek all the way back to get more. After a couple of tries, I just saved there and kept reloading till I got it right. It would have been better if they put the water close by.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top