• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cage Match#13 (2 Dark 2 Classics) 

Poll: Sanitarium vs. I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Total Votes: 14
Sanitarium
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sanitarium Wins!

Score for the record:-
Sanitarium :09
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream :05

————————————————-

Well, I decided to cut down the babbling intro to minimum (this time), especially when dealing with those two classics; there is nothing i could ever say to them, that add-to or change your ideas (about ‘em); each of them (or both as a matter of speech) is a one of a kind, (or at least) never have been duplicated (considering this style of 3rd-person-dark*-adventure-games).
If you are still having this page/post open, after reading the titles of our match/issue, today/this-week!, then you might have a soft-spot (..or two) for disturbing adventure games, or stories (like me).

The only thing i could point out to about this Cage Match that can make your choice easier clearer, is:-

-This match subjects could not be cut down into one/any specific element; Story, Gameplaying, Controls, Importance(to the genre) ...etc, as the case was (i.e) with Cage Match#2, but (instead) about the whole idea (and the memory) of the whole experience, and so; this would be the first Cage Match drive voters into being subjective,  not as it have always been -in the sake objectivity- (and of course that depends on how much (any)one could be…)

Ok, let the horror begin…

Image Attachments

Sanitarium_vs_IHNMaIMS.jpg

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Hmmmm…..
This is a difficult one…..

IHNMAIMS is better in terms of voice acting and shocking experience. It also has AM, one of the most memorable villains in AG history.
Sanitarium has better graphics (though I was never a fan of the isometric view), more intriguing storytelling and slightly better character development.

In the end, I voted for IHNMAIMS because it has a much better replay value.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That’s terrible, Advie, very hard choice. You are worse than AM Smile

I chose IHNMAIMS

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 16 September 2015 01:09 PM

That’s terrible, Advie, very hard choice. You are worse than AM Smile

LOOOL

well thanks, Wilco! couldn’t have been a better compliment Tongue

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Tough choices there, two great games, I went with Sanitarium.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I really like Sanitarium, but when it comes to being dark, evil and twisted nobody beats AM!

A clear vote to IHNMAIMS from me - and it also has the best title.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 17 September 2015 06:19 PM

I really like Sanitarium, but when it comes to being dark, evil and twisted nobody beats AM!

Nobody? I consider Malcolm Metcalf of the Blackstone Chronicles a worthy contestor.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Karlok - 18 September 2015 03:26 AM
Iznogood - 17 September 2015 06:19 PM

Nobody? I consider Malcolm Metcalf of the Blackstone Chronicles a worthy contestor.

as you mentioned it, i was wondering why devs always choose 1st person perspective, for horror AGs?
and worth mentioning that Lost Crown and Dead Synchronicity are my* runner-ups for this current match.

i voted for Sanitarium, tho i always remember (2replays) anything vaguely* after the 2nd asylum and the Circus, chapters!
..Gods, Bees (..and God knows what else!) weren’t really that interesting , the Morgue chapter was awesome tho. At the end i always had this feeling that this one of those AGs which started really great* and got really boring half-way ‘til the end.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 18 September 2015 09:58 AM

i was wondering why devs always choose 1st person perspective, for horror AGs?
and worth mentioning that Lost Crown and Dead Synchronicity are my* runner-ups for this current match.

Because it is easier. 1st person gets you right into the feet of the person you play. It feels like it is really you the one who is into the adventure and thus is far more atmospheric and scary. Amnesia, DarkFall, Scratches, etc are usually far more scary than their 3rd person counterparts. Of course that doesn’t mean that the 3rd person horror games cannot be quality ones (The Cat Lady AGCP is IMHO the best one). They can’t be shocking, gruesome, or even sometimes scary, but it is simply not the same and surely far more difficult to create.

It is also probably the reason why Timovieman will never vote an Amnesia AGCP. Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 18 September 2015 02:20 PM

It is also probably the reason why Timovieman will never vote an Amnesia AGCP. Smile

Despite it not being from a lack of intrest. I just know that I’d suffer a heart attack while wearing my brown pants… Grin

The node-based games aren’t so bad, though, it’s especially the ones where you’re in full control of all the motions.
Also why I could never play horror FPS games. Shooting soldiers is fine, shooting aliens gets iffy, shooting monsters/zombies/etc. has me whimpering in a corner within minutes. Tongue

And this despite being a horror fan…

As for the cage match, I can’t compare since I’ve only played IHNMAIMS. It was heavily flawed, though, so Sanitarium could still win…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 18 September 2015 03:23 PM

The node-based games aren’t so bad, though….

One excuse for not having still finished the Scratches AGCP gone….check

Tongue

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m continuing Scratches as we speak. I haven’t quit yet. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top