• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Thursday 10 September

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Once in a while it is healthy to reminisce how it all began, and as for adventure games it all began in 1975/76 with a game called .. wait for it .. *drum roll* .. ADVENTURE, later also know as Colossal Cave Adventure or just Colossal Cave.

The game was made by Will Crowther and is based on a real cave system in Kentucky USA. It was made for and only ran on a mainframe, personal computers still weren’t invented, so there really wasn’t any other options. It has however later been both expanded, modified and ported to many other systems, and can still be played today, though not in its original version.

I must confess that I have never actually played this game, and I suspect that only few that read this have (hands up everybody that have played it), but as I understand it, it is basically one colossal maze, or at least if not an outright maze, that the main challenge is simply to navigate the cave system without getting hopelessly lost, making maps like the 2nd picture an absolute necessity.

It does however also contains other puzzles, like throwing a pie at a yeti crystals at a troll, magic words like “Xyzzy” and “Fee Fie Foe Foo”, and of course smaller mazes within the larger maze/cave system.

So if you have ever wondered why adventure games are called adventure games, and not something different, or where the tradition of having mazes in AG comes from, well now you know!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I have played it, mostly due to historical reasons!!!

One of the few games that made me use a walkthrough (though from what I see, a map like the one you posted would have been far more useful). It had a couple of nice humorous moments.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

>GET LAMP

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Everyone should play Colossal Cave. It’s historical significance cannot be overstated.

Basically, the history of the adventure genre is:
1. Colossal Cave
2. Monkey Island
3. Myst
4. The Walking Dead

Everything else is just either a variation on those four games, or a one-off thing that left no lasting mark on the genre.

(And Colossal Cave is a decent game with some clever puzzles, if you can live with some annoying elements such as the two mazes or the limited number of turns to finish the game.)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Kurufinwe - 10 September 2015 11:12 AM

Basically, the history of the adventure genre is:
1. Colossal Cave
2. Monkey Island
3. Myst
4. The Walking Dead Fahrenheit

FYP Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Everything else is just either a variation on those four games, or a one-off thing that left no lasting mark on the genre.

No King’s Quest I or any other Sierra game. Your list is void. Wink

diego - 10 September 2015 11:19 AM

4. The Walking Dead Fahrenheit Heavy Rain

FYFYP. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 10 September 2015 04:02 PM

No King’s Quest I or any other Sierra game. Your list is void. Wink

diego - 10 September 2015 11:19 AM

4. The Walking Dead Fahrenheit Heavy Rain Fahrenheit

FYFYP. Tongue

Fahrenheit came before Heavy Rain so diego is in the right Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude28 - 10 September 2015 04:06 PM

Heavy Rain was a massive success and is the direct cause of Telltale’s direction nowadays.

Fahrenheit was the trial run, but it’s Heavy Rain that was the one with the impact that will be remembered.

Otherwise you should scratch Monkey Island too and put Maniac Mansion in its stead.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 10 September 2015 04:45 PM
SoccerDude28 - 10 September 2015 04:06 PM

Heavy Rain was a massive success and is the direct cause of Telltale’s direction nowadays.

Fahrenheit was the trial run, but it’s Heavy Rain that was the one with the impact that will be remembered.

Otherwise you should scratch Monkey Island too and put Maniac Mansion in its stead.

If that’s the case, then we should also replace Colossal Cave and replace it by something like Zork.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I think there is also one more class of adventure games, and that is the walking simulator as they are known. This includes games like Gone Home, The Vanishing of Ethen Carter, and upcoming games like Firewatch. I am not sure which game started that genre, but the first one that comes to mind is Gone Home

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude28 - 10 September 2015 05:44 PM

I am not sure which game started that genre, but the first one that comes to mind is Gone Home

Dear Esther?

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 10 September 2015 06:03 PM
SoccerDude28 - 10 September 2015 05:44 PM

I am not sure which game started that genre, but the first one that comes to mind is Gone Home

Dear Esther?

Dear Esther was definitely before Gone Home so that qualifies. Steam shows a couple other unknown indie games that came before Dear Esther like:
The Path http://store.steampowered.com/app/27000/
and
The Graveyard http://store.steampowered.com/app/27020/

But now that I think about it, ICO on the PS2 was kind of like a Walking Simulator, with very light fighting.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SoccerDude28 - 10 September 2015 06:40 PM

Steam shows a couple other unknown indie games that came before Dear Esther like:
and

Regardless how people may feel about their games, Tale of Tales is wellknown among (indie) developers. Influential even.

Walking simulator is a derogatory term, used by people who don’t enjoy games like Dear Esther. I see no reason to create a special subcategory for those games, but if you do, much older games like The Dark Eye and before that Gadget and Alice: An Interactive Museum started this “subgenre”.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Karlok - 10 September 2015 08:27 PM
SoccerDude28 - 10 September 2015 06:40 PM

Steam shows a couple other unknown indie games that came before Dear Esther like:
and

Regardless how people may feel about their games, Tale of Tales is wellknown among (indie) developers. Influential even.

Sorry I really meant no disrespect but I have not played their games or heard of them before so I thought they were just obscure titles on Steam. Good to know that they are well respected in the indie community.

Walking simulator is a derogatory term, used by people who don’t enjoy games like Dear Esther. I see no reason to create a special subcategory for those games, but if you do, much older games like The Dark Eye and before that Gadget and Alice: An Interactive Museum started this “subgenre”.

Well I did not coin the term Walking simulator, but it is used by the Steam community to tag these games, which is how you can easily identify them from the other major adventure tag there (point and click). I did not realize that there is anything derogatory about that term, and I am actually a huge fan of this subgenre, with games like Gone Home and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter being some of my favorite adventures of the last few years.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SoccerDude28 - 10 September 2015 10:54 PM

Well I did not coin the term Walking simulator, but it is used by the Steam community to tag these games, which is how you can easily identify them from the other major adventure tag there (point and click).

True, but the connotations are negative.

I am actually a huge fan of this subgenre, with games like Gone Home and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter being some of my favorite adventures of the last few years.

Then you should really play The Dark Eye. Marvelous game, based on several Poe stories.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Karlok - 10 September 2015 11:52 PM

Then you should really play The Dark Eye. Marvelous game, based on several Poe stories.

Thanks for the referral. This has been on my radar since I saw images for it in DarkEye’s quizzes, but now that you say it is this good, I’m definitely upping its priority in my to play list.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top