• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 26 August

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I am a bit later today, so I will just quote what Dave Grossman recently said about this puzzle from Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge

It’s odd, the things that stick with me are not moments that are the most fun or the most humorous. It’s the things I screwed up that taught me something in the aftermath. For example, that whole monkey-wrench puzzle from Monkey Island taught me that not only should you never base a puzzle on a play on words if you plan to translate the game into other languages, you should also check to see if the reference applies culturally. Even in places where they do speak the same language as you. Because although that object you use to open a big valve is often called a “monkey wrench” in the country you live, there are lots of places in the English-speaking world where it’s called something else and that term has no meaning whatsoever. And if you don’t have that specific phrase in your head you can’t really figure out how to solve that puzzle, and the game is broken. Whoops!

And add that my main problem with this puzzle, is not so much that I couldn’t figure out how to solve it because I had never heard of a monkey wrench, I most likely still wouldn’t have thought of this. My main problem is that after looking up the solution in a walkthrough, my reaction was NOT “He he, what a clever pun of words” but instead “What the hell were they smoking when they made this - That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!”.
But at least now I know what a monkey wrench is Wink

You can see the whole interview here.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well,  pun was accepted (i guess) by most player,  even before the walkthroughs time,  and anyways it wont come even close to the irritation of Daedalic’s main-menu-vol-adjustment puzzle

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I just want to add that even if you DO know what a monkey wrench is, it’s not clear in the game that that’s what you need, nor does your monkey wrench look anything like a wrench in the inventory.

It’s a pretty bad puzzle. The worst in the series even.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Never understood the criticism behind this puzzle - it’s no Myst, it’s Monkey Island!! I mean, even if the “language barrier” problem does exist here significantly, you don’t have to understand the whole “monkey wrench” thing, you’re still playing a crazy adventure game, and why not to check if monkey can help you with the pump? Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t remember the puzzle but I do know what a monkey wrench is! Yes, I can see the problem when different terminology applies for an item across even English speaking races…..      Laughing  NB I’ve learnt a lot of alternative descriptions for things just by playing Casual HO games on occasion!  Laughing

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 26 August 2015 02:11 PM

and why not to check if monkey can help you with the pump? Grin

clever boy, that was how i came up solving it,  exactly.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 26 August 2015 02:05 PM

I just want to add that even if you DO know what a monkey wrench is, it’s not clear in the game that that’s what you need, nor does your monkey wrench look anything like a wrench in the inventory.

It’s a pretty bad puzzle. The worst in the series even.

It does compare to the Red Herring puzzle Tongue

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I must admit that I’m surprised with your choice of puzzle. Way back when we discussed how it might be possible that several discussions re: puzzles, might overlap.

I kind of expected that at least one of the incongruous puzzles in the current S2 AGCPT would make an appearance.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 26 August 2015 11:02 PM

I kind of expected that at least one of the incongruous puzzles in the current S2 AGCPT would make an appearance.

A puzzle from Syberia 2 might still find its way into this Midweek Puzzle, but not before we have actually played the part that contains the puzzle I have in mind, and it won’t be incongruous Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top