• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 17 August 2015

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

The Oracle

Something for the first-person adventure fans this week.

As I have said before, I am always wary of freeware games that use photos as backgrounds. Too often they are just lazy and look terrible as people can just google-image-search a random bunch of ill fitting backgrounds and slap them together in a day or two with some crudely drawn sprites etc. But The Oracle is a very long way from one of those games.

All photos were taken on location in Canada and Portugal and they fit coherently together AND include some animated parts too which fit in nicely. There are over 140 screens and the game has clearly been planned carefully to ensure that it all fits together into a good story spanning continents and even, well… you’ll have to see for yourself!

The first person element works well as there is no jarring hand drawn main character and the “Myst-style” navigation is fitting too.

Some of the things I like best about this are that the world does not feel too empty - as some 1st person games can - AND that you don’t spend most of your time reading through page after page of journal entries and diaries in the hope you will manage to turn up some actual story or plot buried on a bookcase somewhere. There are people to talk to and things to do, and whilst exploration is certainly a part of gameplay, there is no shortage of puzzles and dialogue too.

There’s a cool little soundtrack and good sound effects. There is also an unobtrusive hint system - which you probably won’t even notice unless you look for it - if you really get stuck. Which you may do as the game does present a reasonable challenge at some points.

The story itself starts quite clichéd - a missing friend with a trail of clues to follow as to his whereabouts, a “mysterious discovery”, an ancient order… but don’t be put off, the whole thing is well executed and while there may not be many surprises as you go along, you don’t lose interest in the story and it is a very enjoyable few hours worth of game. Or at least that’s how it was for me!

Also - and just for fun - what do you think the structure shown in the screenshot above is?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 17 August 2015 06:48 AM

Also - and just for fun - what do you think the structure shown in the screenshot above is?

I was going to say “lighthouse” or “water tower”, but since you ask, it’s probably something less predictable.

Missile silo? Grin

Nah, probably a windmill, amirite?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The entrance for an underground nuclear facility of course. Tongue

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Nope, none correct so far, although one of Timo’s guesses isn’t a million miles off. Smile

A secret underground nuclear facility would have been good though! Laughing

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

It’s a renovated grain silo. The person who lives there owns 100 acres of farmland surrounding the silo, but the state wouldn’t allow them to build a new structure. So they now live in the silo.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Intense Degree - 17 August 2015 07:26 AM

Nope, none correct so far, although one of Timo’s guesses isn’t a million miles off. Smile

It’s a modern windmill alright! Windgenerator, turbine, whatever name you prefer.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Yep, Car Lock is absolutely spot on! Laughing

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I should know, I own one.
Free electricity! Cool

Well, I’m one of the 950+ owners… but the electricity is free.

PS: My nick comes from Zork Nemesis.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

You own a wind turbine??!!! Gasp

I always knew you were some kind of evil super villain, and surely the only good reason to own a private wind turbine is to power a secret underground lair! Laughing

WHAT ARE YOU KEEPING DOWN THERE CAR LOCK?!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Intense Degree - 17 August 2015 11:04 AM

WHAT ARE YOU KEEPING DOWN THERE CAR LOCK?!

Why, my SECRET GAMING ROOM of course! I need all that power for my three computers. (Two of them hardly visible in the pic.)

Cool

[pic removed, sorry]

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Wow nice gaming room Smile Can you have closer shots of your games, so we can check out your game library?

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Now that is one seriously cool secret underground lair!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sorry, I removed the pic, because my full address could be traced in Goooooogle. (Photo was taken by a professional photographer recently for the sale of the house.)  I don’t mind you adventure guys knowing my address, but I don’t know who else is reading this. I used to have some photos taken by a friend, I’ll see if I can find them.

But it’s very gratifying when fellow gamers like my gaming room. Smile In real life the reactions are usually quite different.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top