• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Thursday 30 July

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Since it’s release week of a new King’s Quest, I wanted to post something related to it today. Not a lot of options but there are 2 King’s Quest games released on consoles (as far as I know).

The screenshot is from King’s Quest I for the Sega Master System (underrated console), the game looks fairly good
and colorful and plays ok from what I’ve tried. You have direct control over the character and interactions show up with small menu with the possible verbs when you click on hotspots. I didn’t go very far in it, the game seemed complete but it´s probably a lot easier due to the simplified interface.

The other game is King’s Quest 5 for the NES and it looks hideous with a terrible interface. You can control the character directly but when you want to interact it changes to point-and-click with the bar at the top, doesn’t work very well…
I think the port was handled by Konami (or maybe they just published it?) and tried to replicate everything from PC version and of course they failed because the NES was very limited for a game with that complexity… According to the wiki game also had some script changes to make it more “family-friendly”. (Seriously, a KQ game has to be made for family friendly?!?). No wonder no more KQ games were released on consoles until now.
Anyone played these games at the time?

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Interesting, that king quest 1 on sega master system doesn’t seem bad… Kind of reminds me of the Maniac Mansion nes game…

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Unusual color choices for Graham’s clothes. Red boots, a pink vest, purple hat and (I think) a yellow feather. I guess they wanted him to show up on screen quite brightly?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

giom - 02 August 2015 07:37 AM

Interesting, that king quest 1 on sega master system doesn’t seem bad… Kind of reminds me of the Maniac Mansion nes game…

The verb list is like Maniac Mansion but the interface is a bit different since in Maniac Mansion NES you control the arrow pointer and this KQ you have direct control over the character and the verb list only shows up when are close to an item.
I think the KQ solution is better for a gamepad controller since moving the arrow pointer can be slow.
But both MM NES and KQ Master Sytem do seem to be very decent ports for very limited machines.

Becky - 02 August 2015 08:12 AM

Unusual color choices for Graham’s clothes. Red boots, a pink vest, purple hat and (I think) a yellow feather. I guess they wanted him to show up on screen quite brightly?

Have no idea but maybe if they used the traditional colors the clothes might blend with the background in some places?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top