• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday 26 July

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The Gene Machine is a game that 80% users on the forum have heard of, 5% of those have played it, 50% of those liked it, and 50% of those that liked it actually write something about it.

Putting “underrated gem” in its description would perhaps be too much, but if it wasn’t for sluggish interface and technical problems (along with GOG/Steam availability), I think it would stand much higher on many players’ top lists. You’d still need to swallow the humor, stay awake during some of the dialogues, and generally accept the lighthearted atmosphere that doesn’t break any new grounds, but provides with a pretty unique “H. G. Wells & Jules Verne” sense (and “memorable sidekicks” Wink ).

My main problem was that it constantly makes one “step forward, one back.” The carriages are one of the most beautifully animated you ever saw, but then when the main character walks up the screen it’s as if he has a broom up his bottom; the backgrounds are quite nice in the “aquarelle” style, but character close-ups are nothing to write home about; the voice acting is solid, but then some sounds stick out like an amateur production (”Here, kitty, kitty”, anyone? Grin ). But as I said, the designers have done everything for the sake of the atmosphere (random passers-by and other details in the background, various locations, rich plot…), and patient players will know to appreciate it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 26 July 2015 08:49 AM

The Gene Machine is a game that 80% users on the forum have heard of, 5% of those have played it, 50% of those liked it, and 50% of those that liked it actually write something about it.

So there should be at least one hundred users on the forum for you to be able to write about the Gene Machine. I am one of two people who played it and didn’t like it very much. Well, it was okay. Barely.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I loved this game!  I played it many years ago and finished it and tried playing it again a few years back and whenever I would get towards the end, it would crash on me. but, a fun romp for a while.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 26 July 2015 03:33 PM

I am one of two people who played it and didn’t like it very much.

mbday630 - 26 July 2015 04:16 PM

I loved this game!

Well, your two posts prove my point! Grin

just kidding, Karlok Heart

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 26 July 2015 05:23 PM
Karlok - 26 July 2015 03:33 PM

I am one of two people who played it and didn’t like it very much.

mbday630 - 26 July 2015 04:16 PM

I loved this game!

Well, your two posts prove my point! Grin

just kidding, Karlok Heart

Yes, they do prove your point!  Kiss

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top