• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Tuesday 14 July

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Say what you will of Broken Sword 3, I still think it’s one of the brightest examples of “Including action in order to please players and trends, but not ruin the adventure along the way”.

Actually, there is no action at all when you think about it - jumping, climbing… is so rudimentary and “turn-based”, that it can be hardly called platforming. Stealth sequences in the castle are few, and nice change of pace; The dying is still there (but sure, if you yell “Hey, you suck!” to those 3 villains at the screenshot, you deserve to die). Crates… well, I can’t make a case for BS3 there, though they’re still puzzles. And the scenes where you need to react fast is nothing like Fahrenheit. The only real problem is the interface, until you get the hold of it.

What we’re left with is a story that grabs you at first, than seems to be going nowhere, while still holding your attention, and then having a climatic finale in the true sense of the word; quite atmospheric, if constrained 3D world and variety of problems.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Ahhh .. The infamous Sleeping Dragon .. I quite like it Grin
Especially the whole Prague Castle sequence, but I have already revealed that I like stealth sequences, when done right that is, so no big surprise here.

If it wasn’t for all those damn crates that kept popping up all over the place, I mean the first ten times it was fun, it really was, but after that it just gets old .. and the dragon, I also didn’t really like the whole dragon thing. But if it wasn’t for those, then it might have been one of my favourite BS games, as it is then it is probably my least favourite, but still not a bad game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

On the whole, I’m with aintnogood in that I quite like this game!

Obviously it isn’t in the same league as the first, second or even fifth game and it is very clear that the publishers had their eyes firmly on consoles which lead to a lot of concessions and that control scheme. I had it on PS2 (PS1?) as well and it looked more at home there visually and control-wise but was really not quite one thing or the other.

Having said that I have played it through a few times and I do enjoy it. I wasn’t even particularly bothered about the crate moving thing, it was OK for me.

Some funny moments - getting the trousers from the poetry guy in Glastonbury for instance. In fact, that whole Glastonbury section felt very Broken Sword indeed in terms of the characters and dialogue and I’m not one of those who discount it from the series.

Not as good as 1, 2 and 5 - sure. But much better than 4 in my book.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I can’t say if this game is good or not, because I’ve owned it since it was only released for about three months or so, but I’ve never gotten my copy to work.
It installed fine, but when I launched it I just got a black screen and… nothing.
I’ve tried on three PCs since then. Same result each time.

Someone doesn’t want me to play this game… Meh

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 14 July 2015 11:36 AM

Especially the whole Prague Castle sequence, but I have already revealed that I like stealth sequences, when done right that is, so no big surprise here.

Ironically, the castle (and other indoor sections, like the theater and its underground) is expected to be more constrained than Ireland or Paris streets sections, but it was actually more “free-roaming” (just how many times I was running the wrong way in the theater undergrounds). But empty Paris streets is something that can be said for each of the installments.

Intense Degree - 14 July 2015 12:49 PM

Not as good as 1, 2 and 5 - sure. But much better than 4 in my book.

I don’t know, it’s very, very different to BS1, 2 and 5. Not only the graphics, but general atmosphere is leaning more toward the “mystery”, and comedy is lessened (though it’s still there). BS4 accented it even more. But I’d put it in the same league or slightly worse than 2, seriously. (which is slightly behind BS1)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top