• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 11 July

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

One of Omar Sharif’s role was that of Captain Nemo in Mysterious Island, so here’s Return to Mysterious Island today.

This is a “new wave” of adventure games. Seriously, the dark age 2000-2003 was over, and European companies emerged. As one of the first Kheops’ adventures (Crystal Key II and The Egyptian Prophecy were released some months earlier in 2004), it was a cocktail of fresh ideas and new concept. It was “Myst” but it also had an inventory you can get lost in; it was photo-realistic almost as FMV, and it head comic-book cutscenes; It was non-linear, and it had points.

Some of the execution felt just shy of great to me. I don’t know what, really. There’s nothing epic about it, as you might expect from such a theme. It’s slow, and character’s development and story additions are nothing to write home about. Inventory is full of stuff, non-linear in item combinations, but not with a too much “variety” to it. But arm yourself with patience and you’ll be rewarded. This is one of those games where you need to know how to enjoy just by standing at the beach sand, looking at the water and doing nothing. Hearing the sounds in the cave, just as though you were in the shellfish. Smelling the island’s vegetation (OK, perhaps not that one). There never was an adventure that came closer to being Robinson Crusoe (apart from some obscure adventure game “Robinson Crusoe”). Go play it now!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I loved Return to Mysterious Island. The fact that you can combine items in different ways to get different things, and you can use different combinations to solve puzzles, was pretty innovative (and hasn’t been copied much). Anyone know any other none Kheops game that did that?

I played Syberia long before I played RTMI so I had forgotten how Kate Walker sounded like, but having replayed Syberia recently, I was pleasantly surprised that Kate Walker and Mina are voiced by the same voice actress.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

RtMI is one of those games that I started but then quickly lost all interest in.

I guess the combination of an inventory the size of Ismelda Marcos shoe-closet, tedious tasks like finding food and water, and no real story beyond “You are stranded on a deserted Island” (at least at the point where I quit), simply aren’t to my taste.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I remember enjoying Return to Mysterious Island enough to buy the sequel (which I’m not sure I’ve got round to playing yet?) Yes, I did like the way you could combine different inventory items in different ways too - I remember thinking of the game as being very competent & ‘slick’ & wouldn’t have hesitated at the time to have bought anything developed by Kheops & am sorry that they are no more!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top