• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 8 July

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

How do you fell about games that test if you have been paying attention to the story?

In J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars the protagonist Rachel Manners is an astrobiologist part of an expedition, that is send from earth to a far away solar system to ... She however awakes from cryosleep much later than she was suppose to, only to discover that the rest of the crew is gone and the spaceship abandoned, that is except for H.A.L. J.U.L.I.A. the ships artificial inteligence, and MOBOT a remotely controlled droid with limited intelligence used for planetary exploration.

J.U.L.I.A. unfortunately has absolutely no recollection of what has happened since they entered the system, so it is up to Rachel to figure out what the h… has happened while she was sleeping, what has happened to the crew, why she wasn’t awoken with the rest, to solve the mystery, to succeed where others have failed, complete the mission single handedly and boldly go where no man has gone before! *ahem* sorry I got a bit carried away there.

In order to do so, she has to explore the different planets in the system, backtrack the steps of the rest of the expedition, or forwardtrack if you prefer so, as you can explore the planets in whatever order you wish, but backtracking is the most logical order, and discover a multitude of different clues as to what has happened. Whenever you have discovered all the relevant clues, you will be given the option to solve one of these Mind O’Matics, like the one show in the screenshot very appropriately named ‘Disaster on Xenophon’.

These Mind O’Matics however serves a bigger purpose than simply to test if you have been paying attention. The thing is that the clues you find are all fragmented and incomplete, for example you might find a diary entry talking about an incident on planet X, and you might find another questioning an order given by officer A, but you have to connect the dots yourself and realise that they are both talking about the same incident, and these Mind O’Matics are the perfect tool for doing so.

As a deduction puzzle they are actually quite simple, i.e. you don’t have to be Sherlock to realise they are talking about the same incident, but there are a quite large amount of clues and information to keep track of. You solve them by forming small sentences with the words the game provide, and arranging them in the correct timeline. The game helps you by both providing the framework but also by filling in some of the words to get you started, but it also makes it a bit more difficult by giving you more words than there is needed.

The Mind O’Matics are completely optional, but I will strongly recommend that you take the time to solve them. Not only because they are entertaining puzzles in themselves, but they will also greatly help you to make heads and tails of the whole story, and you might even realise something that you otherwise perhaps wouldn’t.

Needless to say that it is strongly recommended that you take plenty of notes while playing this game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Hotel Dusk and the sequel (and probably many more games) have these quiz at the end of each chapter that work has sort of recollection of what is going on and making sense of the clues. It’s really easy in there but I like that kind of stuff.
This sounds very interesting and way more complex.  I’ve been meaning to play JULIA but decided to wait until it wins the CP someday.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Is this in a remake only? Because I don’t remember it in the original JULIA…

The best, absolutely the best puzzle of this sort I met was the quiz at the end of each chapter in Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring. It really forced you to think and pay attention, as you couldn’t brute force it. Every next installment in the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes series was more and more dumbed-down version of that one in Silver Earring.

The second place goes to Sinking Island, though I had a feeling that the full potential of that system was yet to be reached in sequels (as announced). Alas, nothing became of it.

p.s. cool logo Cool

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 08 July 2015 09:42 AM

Perhaps - probably, I have never played the original, but I know that the remake is much more than just a graphical overhaul. They removed all the things that people were complaining about, like the resource mining, and instead added a whole bunch of new stuff.
(Perhaps you should consider playing the remake .. in a CP perhaps Tongue)

The best, absolutely the best puzzle of this sort I met was the quiz at the end of each chapter in Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring.

I recently played The Silver Earing for the first time, and I really didn’t like it at all. Okay the quizzes was probably the best thing about it, and the yes/no answers in themselves weren’t really that hard, but it was a little bit touchy when it came to backing it up with the correct evidence. Overall a bit harder than these Mind O’Matics I would say.

The second place goes to Sinking Island

I also really liked them in Sinking Island - Come to think of it, I think I have liked them in most games where I have encountered them.

p.s. cool logo Cool

Thanks - It was your own logos that inspired me to make one.

wilco - 08 July 2015 09:07 AM

I’ve been meaning to play JULIA but decided to wait until it wins the CP someday.

Someday .. Soon .. Very Soon .. Perhaps .. If we can find enough members interested .. I wouldn’t hold my breath Foot in mouth

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 08 July 2015 10:20 AM

Perhaps - probably, I have never played the original, but I know that the remake is much more than just a graphical overhaul. They removed all the things that people were complaining about, like the resource mining, and instead added a whole bunch of new stuff.
(Perhaps you should consider playing the remake .. in a CP perhaps Tongue)

The Mind-o-Matics (plus an awful lot more!) didn’t appear in the original. One much complained of puzzle (including by myself) was made much easier in the re-make, in fact, possibly too easy. Another puzzle was changed as this was also heavily complained about into a different format. I still don’t like this one either but it is an improvement.

Izno - don’t give up on trying to get a CPT of J.U.L.I.A. The remake is certainly superior to the original (which was good in its own right) and would very much support the CPT format although its non-linearity in (some) of the gameplay could cause you a problem if you still choose to lead.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 08 July 2015 10:20 AM

p.s. cool logo Cool

Thanks - It was your own logos that inspired me to make one.

I’m starting to feel the pressure to add one Smile

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I look forward to yours wilco!

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Very nice logo-and a new avatar.  Izno has had a makeover and I like it!  Smile

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 08 July 2015 10:40 AM

Izno - don’t give up on trying to get a CPT of J.U.L.I.A.

Don’t worry, if or when it gets selected then I will still be available to lead it, I’m just not optimistic that it will happen soon.

Dara100 - 09 July 2015 01:30 PM

Very nice logo-and a new avatar.  Izno has had a makeover and I like it!  Smile

Thanks. I could probably also need a makeover in real life, but this will have to do.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top