• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Tuesday 7 July

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Today is the “Tell the Truth Day!”, and you see, action, stealth… in Dreamfall never bothered me. But my selfish, fragile, subjective inner side was distressed at the fact that from the beginning, the game centered on some semi-naked “Hispanic” teen instead of my hero April Ryan! I wanted the sequel to The Longest Journey, goddammit! I graduated in high-school in prose by telling the story of the first game and pretending it’s one of my own! I earned the highest marks! I wanted April in Stark and Arcadia again! She’s not some depressed emo bum!

Oh, yeah, running around and interactive movie didn’t help, either. But it was more of a my nostalgic side. I keep telling myself it’s time to get over it, and finish it already. Perhaps one of these days, when I grow up.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I liked Dreamfall better than The Longest Journey (if only slightly). Mainly because I like Zoë Castillo better than April Ryan.

I need to replay both before tackling Chapters, though.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2987

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I’m TOTALLY with diego here. I prefered the Longest Journey more than Dreamfall in every possible aspect (storytelling, characters, riddles, gameplay, etc) and April Ryan was a major factor in that. Never liked or even cared about Zoe. I’m shivering to the idea that she is one of the main protagonists in Chapters and April is not. I’ll probably play them someday. And yes, emo April sucked in Dreamfall. What a dreadful development of an excellent developed character in TLJ…..
(I hear that Kian has great character development in Chapters though - unlike his caricature role in Dreamfall).

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 07 July 2015 06:46 AM

the game centered on some semi-naked “Hispanic” teen instead of my hero April Ryan!

Technically she is an Eurasian, though living in Casablanca, born in London and went to university in Cape Town, before finally moving to Propast. Nothing Hispanic about her   Pan
And what on earth do you have against the semi-naked part? Though I wouldn’t really call her clothing semi-naked either.

One of the things that I personally liked the most about Dreamfall, is that they didn’t just make a direct sequel to TLJ, with the same protagonist and everything, but instead told a completely different story with a different main protagonist and everything, within the same universe they created for TLJ. The very thing that distressed you so much, is one of the things I liked the most Tongue

Anyway, if things goes as planned, you and others should get their TLJ sequel in the form of TLJ Home.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 07 July 2015 08:36 AM

Nothing Hispanic about her   Pan

Thus, the quotation marks. Grin Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

At first when I started playing the game, I agreed with you but then I started to like Zoe more and more… I actually like how her character evolves during the game (but she does start a bit as a self centered emo girl…)

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Her father had an Argentine father and an English mother. So she’s one-quarter Hispanic. (Where did you think “Castillo” came from? It doesn’t sound exactly Icelandic.) Tongue

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 07 July 2015 10:09 AM

Her father had an Argentine father and an English mother. So she’s one-quarter Hispanic.

I don’t recall the game itself ever actually stating that, but it does explicitly state that her mother is Asian. (From Hong Kong actually)

Anyway, I will just quote The Man himself on this topic:

Yeah, Zoë can’t really be categorised as ‘Latina’.
The new Zoë isn’t really Latina in any way; she’s British
Ragnar Tørnquist

Kurufinwe - 07 July 2015 10:09 AM

(Where did you think “Castillo” came from? It doesn’t sound exactly Icelandic.) Tongue

From Spain .. Obviously Tongue

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I think that the ‘ethnic’ background of the protagonist is totally irrelevant as I thought it was a very good game. But, I’m disappointed here along with diego that it wasn’t the continuing story of April Ryan & I really didn’t like her when she turned up & not knowing why she was as she was?
Also, thank you diego for using the word ‘hybrid’ as yes! the game fits that category!

It does seem that developers will forget their AG soul to include non-Ag features (& ignore the fans) to try & sell sequels of well-loved games to get it on console & this is a good example along with BS3 & BS4 - Frogwares however with their Sherlock Holmes series seem to be doing pretty well without including all those aspects of action…... so NO EXCUSE!

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I really did not like Dreamfall after having replayed both it and The Longest Journey recently in preparation for Dreamfall Chapters. The Longest Journey still holds up as one of the best adventure games made (although the version of myself who played it 14 years ago had much more patience with the amount of talking in the game compared to the older, more impatient me). I found Dreamfall though very poor in terms of story and gameplay. For starters, the fighting was super clunky, the stealth very lame, and the puzzles almost non existent. Lots of the gameplay was (carry this item and give it to this person). The Longest Journey gameplay was fine so I don’t understand the need to turn it into a poorly implemented stealth/fighting game.

As far as the story, I felt it went all over the place and wasn’t as focused as the previous one. April Ryan became a much less focal character, instead of building on her strength. She was the star of The Longest Journey, and in this one she felt very whiny and negative. I did not like how now: There are 4 worlds instead of 2, and I was really not as invested with the whole crazy storyline about dreams and some fat guy connected to the “wire”.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I graduated in high-school in prose by telling the story of the first game and pretending it’s one of my own! I earned the highest marks! I wanted April in Stark and Arcadia again! She’s not some depressed emo bum!

Lol you got away with that? And they say games don’t help Grin

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SoccerDude28 - 07 July 2015 12:32 PM

I graduated in high-school in prose by telling the story of the first game and pretending it’s one of my own! I earned the highest marks! I wanted April in Stark and Arcadia again! She’s not some depressed emo bum!

lol, you earned your marks Diego, let it be.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

SoccerDude28 - 07 July 2015 12:32 PM

Advie - 07 July 2015 03:08 PM

lol, you earned your marks Diego, let it be.

Hehe… luckily my Language teacher obviously wasn’t exactly an adventure gamer aficionado Wink She was very strict, an old-fashioned teacher, and if she did find I “cheated”... Mini Frown Grin I did change it slightly, and it was also helpful that The Longest Journey was quite fresh at a time. Perhaps she WAS an adventure game lover, but just didn’t play it yet. If that’s the case… later, somewhere, when she played it, the scream was probably echoing from her palace. (yes, that’s how we kids imagined strict, “evil” teachers - living in a dark castle surrounded by lightnings and bats.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top