• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Tuesday 30 June

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I remember a friend of mine borrowing me his copy of Fahrenheit aka Indigo Prophecy, with the words: I have never played anything like it. It’s an outstanding game!!
He was half right. I mean, literally. Up to the second half of the game, I was glued to the screen. It was a thriller movie unfolding before my eyes, and I was PLAYING it! Then, I realized the game doesn’t use its potential to the full, and makes CONSTANT repetitions of the same arcade puzzles, as the MAIN mean of progressing through the game! The mystery, that was so big in that diner’s toilet (Hey, that doesn’t sound right!), melted like snow on a busy city’s street.

Then, we had “James Cameron” directing the last third of the game, but that was lesser of two problems.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Still remember playing that awesome dinner scene demo at the beginning. The possibilities were endless, then the game came out and was a wake-up call with the second half of the game kind of ruining some of it. Still was (for better or worst) a revolution for the genre, even if the next David Cage games were better and more balanced.

diego - 30 June 2015 06:09 AM

Then, we had “James Cameron” directing the last third of the game, but that was lesser of two problems.

More like Michael Bay Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I totally agree. The game started really strong, but towards the end, it became the most ridiculous story. They learned their lesson with Heavy Rain, which is their best game to date.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Tried it a while back, but I never managed to finish this ...

That archive sequence simply drained any remaining goodwill I had towards the game, not that there was much left at that point, out of me like a vampire convention at a blood bank.

Anyone who has ever complained about the troll cave sequence in Dreamfall, should be forced to play this, just so they can learn what a truly horrible constantly dying sequence actually looks like.

Edit: It did however start very well in that diner, but everything after that just went downhill.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I loved this game, although I admit it had some flaws but I do not think they were so serious and in no way meant a detriment to my enjoyment. For its part, the story is really compelling though it is true that near the end the story begins to suffer a bit but still the experience was memorable for me.

One aspect that I found great was the faculty of to control several characters who were supposedly in opposite sidewalks, and also the timing while trying to make some decisions as to where to hide the knife as time consuming. I also like certain passages of relaxation of the main story, for example when the character played the guitar, I heard that many people resented this aspect, in my case helped me even more to be more absorbed by this game.

I do not think arcade puzzles have been the main thing for progress through the game, and only sometimes can become somewhat annoying. Plus: The soundtrack is quite good too.

Well it’s pretty obvious that I really enjoyed this game.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 30 June 2015 12:26 PM

Anyone who has ever complained about the troll cave sequence in Dreamfall, should be forced to play this, just so they can learn what a truly horrible constantly dying sequence actually looks like.

I’ve played both games to completion & really loved the story in Fahrenheit which compelled me to keep playing despite finding some of the ‘action’ sequences very difficult even on easy mode which left me with very sore fingers & thumbs when I didn’t ask a friend to play through bits for me.  I even liked the ending!

I liked a lot of the features in Fahrenheit (as hard as they were) but it was never promoted as a pure AG I’m sure so I was prepared for that unlike some of the ‘action’ sequences in Dreamfall which was promoted as Adventure so for me the troll cave ‘puzzle’ along with other action/timed/stealth stuff wasn’t so welcome which in my mind the developer included to try & appeal to a larger audience & p*****  off a lot of players especially as it sold on the back of the wonderful The Longest Journey. Yes, I did like Dreamfall but was disappointed with the gameplay.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

The soundtrack has Martina Topley Bird! It’s awesome. I never gave up on the game either, though I admit that especially that archive section was horrible. At that point I switched the difficulty to easy, and still had troubles beating those left-right-sections.

But yeah, it started out brilliantly, I really liked the controls on the non-action parts and the thriller was intriguing. I wasn’t horribly put off even by that turn of events, but I didn’t like how they fast forwarded the time in the end.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

millenia - 30 June 2015 01:12 PM

At that point I switched the difficulty to easy, and still had troubles beating those left-right-sections.

If I remember correctly, then the difficultly setting had absolutely no influence on the archive sequence, only on the outright action sequences, at least I couldn’t detect any difference whatsoever by turning down the difficulty.

Anyway, I didn’t really have any problems with the outright action sequences, those were what they were and was expected, and you could just turn down the difficulty if you found them too hard.

But the archive sequence was really neither bird nor fish, neither action nor AG, instead it was just a horrible timed puzzle with an absolutely brutal timing, that you had to complete while senselessly smashing two different buttons, at the same time as doing all the normal stuff, like walking and finding different things.
Kind of like rubbing your tummy, padding your head and solving a sudoku at the same time, and only having 15 seconds to do so before you have to restart the whole bloody thing.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

Archive section? What about asylum section? And two Jedi battles with The Oracle later?

As many have stated here, I too loved the opening sequence as it hinted numerous possibilities and story branching but was later on disappointed with restrictions in exploration, heavier focus on action elements and limited player’s agency.

Of course, it’s not that I don’t like games that limit the freedom of your choice. I don’t mind playing classic, strictly linear adventure games. But when the game gives you freedom of choice and puts emphasis on it, story should deliver some kind of plausible outcome. It shouldn’t keep us guessing like it did with Tyler.

Another thing with action sequences I didn’t like, besides the fact their overabundance in later part destroyed pacing, is that I had a feeling I had to fight them first, and opponents second. I finished the game three times, starting from easy and then mastering the hard settings. Even on hard settings, when I had some kind of grip over control scheme, it never really clicked with me, like normal controls in standard action games like God of War did. I don’t know why. Frown

@millenia
You forgot excellent score by Angelo Badalamenti. Wink

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

They clearly improved the control scheme for Heavy Rain. I played it with medium setting and handled myself pretty well, also being able to follow what was happening, as the buttons were at least a tad intuitive, meaning you press a button to the direction you are moving to. In Fahrenheit I missed most of the great action scenes just mindlessly staring at the screen and trying to spot when a button prompt popped up. There were even some button pressing while dialogue was going on!

I at least felt like the archives were a bit more forgiving when I changed the setting to easy, or then I just happened to handle it a lot better suddenly.

And yeah the soundtrack was good otherwise too, but the most prominent thing I remember though is just chilling in Carla’s apartment doing nothing but enjoying the song.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

lucebend - 30 June 2015 02:31 PM

@millenia

Really? Wow, big name! Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 30 June 2015 05:25 PM
lucebend - 30 June 2015 02:31 PM

@millenia

Really? Wow, big name! Gasp

Yeah, here’s the whole soundtrack:

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Here’s Martina Topley Bird’s Sandpaper Kisses.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top