• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 29 June

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy!

If I had a pound for every freeware adventure game where someone has tried some kind of Monkey Island clone over the years I would be the second richest man you’d ever seen…

However, this is not one of those games. Pirates? Yep. Comedy? Sure! But rubbish Monkey Island rip off? No way.

Stylised Art, fun puzzles, great dialogue, silly names… this game has it all, even including one of those female protagonist things that other genres seem to find so difficult. I really enjoyed this game with its light touch, pleasantly silly characters and some pretty decent puzzles in there too. And I know I’m not the only one who wanted to see more as the sequel will be a fully commercial game that sailed through Kickstarter back in 2013.

Without wishing to do Mr Beckett-King’s publicity for him, if you missed the Kickstarter and still want in on the action then you can pre-order the sequel here.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Those graphics really seem cute!! But the architecture of the house reminds me more of DotT than MI IMO! Tongue

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Spoonbeaks was one of the best freeware games I’ve ever played (and better than many paid for games as well!) so it was a cast iron certainty that I’d back The Fowl Fleet Kickstarter. It’s been somewhat delayed in being released but at least for good reasons. A publisher picked it up which allowed the engine to be changed from AGS to Unity and the graphics took a sizeable hit upwards (not that they were bad to begin with). I paid enough to have a portrait in The Rogues Gallery but you won’t be seeing me as a cartoon. Me too ugly so I got a much better looking (female) friend to supply a photo.

I can really recommend Spoonbeaks as a game and I’m sure of those who try it many will be wanting to purchase Fowl Fleet.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The Fowl Fleet was one of the best (read: funniest) Kickstarters I have ever seen, and I backed it based on that alone. I mean if he can make such a Kickstarter campaign then just imagine what the game will be like.

I haven’t played Spoonbeaks Ahoy yet, though it has been sitting on my desktop for quite some time.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 29 June 2015 11:31 AM

The Fowl Fleet was one of the best (read: funniest) Kickstarters I have ever seen, and I backed it based on that alone. I mean if he can make such a Kickstarter campaign then just imagine what the game will be like.

Did you see his Christmas greeting in the video last year? Had me in stitches with that as well. A very funny guy!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Ali is actually a part time stand up comedian as well as a game designer and is definitely funny.

He does one particular show where the audience play through an “adventure game” (well… choose your own adventure type thing) live on a big screen with various choices and hilarious outcomes. I’ve seen a couple of versions of him doing this at AdventureX and it’s really very good.

http://www.abeckettking.com/portfolio/choose-your-own-comedy/ if anyone’s interested.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I keep reading so many good things about this game so thanks for posting the screenshot ID - I will definitely have to give the game a whirl!  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top