• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalertrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday 28 June

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ve heard such contradicting opinions on The Abbey, that I’m really impatient to try it on my own. Especially because I liked the movie.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

I think this is really one of those love it or hate it games. I’ve never tried it either. This is a great screenshot, I love the art style.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Reminds me of a scene in Conquests of the Longbow Wink , but the art style is more remiscent of Broken Sword.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have this but haven’t played it yet.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 28 June 2015 11:41 AM

Especially because I liked the movie.

And what did you think about the book? Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 28 June 2015 02:26 PM

Zobraks will tell you more about that. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 28 June 2015 02:45 PM
TimovieMan - 28 June 2015 02:26 PM

Zobraks will tell you more about that. Grin

Why Zobraks?

Anyway the book is obviously much much better than the movie imo. Can’t say anything about the game as I haven’t played it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 28 June 2015 02:50 PM

Why Zobraks?

Zobraks is a book aficionado (unlike me, I must confess), and he wrote some great things about the book at the other forum, so it’s just me teasing him. Wink

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

I find the Zobraks references across the forum to be highly mysterious, mystical even. Wink

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 28 June 2015 02:45 PM

Zobraks will tell you more about the book.

You bet your sweet behind.
Il nome della rosa is a great book of fiction/mystery (and an elaborate treatise on medieval aesthetics and history too) and I enjoyed it greatly. As in all the other cases the book is MUCH better than the movie. I’m yet to watch a movie that’s better than (or even comes close to, like “The Lord of the Rings” or “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”) the book it was based on.

I liked “The Name of the Rose” (the movie) very much, though.

Jade - 28 June 2015 03:53 PM

I find the Zobraks references across the forum to be highly mysterious, mystical even. Wink

Just too much hype and self-promoting, I’m afraid.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

zobraks - 28 June 2015 04:01 PM

Il nome della rosa is a great book of fiction/mystery (and an elaborate treatise on medieval aesthetics and history too) and I enjoyed it greatly. As in all the other cases the book is MUCH better than the movie. I’m yet to watch a movie that’s better than (or even comes close to, like “The Lord of the Rings” or “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”) the book it was based on.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, though The Tenth Man might be the exception to the rule.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I neither read the book nor watched the movie, so I can’t comment.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 28 June 2015 04:11 PM
zobraks - 28 June 2015 04:01 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with this, though The Tenth Man might be the exception to the rule.

There are lots of examples of movies better than the books but I think it usually means the book is not that memorable in the first place. But adapting a classic book like this one from Umberto Eco and make it better is something impossible.

Adapting a videogame to movie and make it better than the source material, that also seems to be impossible. Smile

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I read and loved the book and thought they did an excellent job with the movie.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I loved the film (I often do when Annaud is at the helm), but didn’t get through the book.
I had to use a dictionary 35 times in the 18-page foreword. Then when the actual book started, the first sentence was a 26-line monstrosity that contained so many subordinate clauses (sometimes within subordinate clauses) that I had to read it 12 times just to get it.

I basically went “F@!# this!” and closed the book. And to think Foucault’s Pendulum is supposedly even worse at that… *shudder*
I don’t like it when a writer’s style is too easy, but Eco is a prime example of too hard for me.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

This game was torture to play. I really tried to get into it, but just couldn’t get past the first 15 or so minutes. Maybe a community playthrough will make me try it again Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top