• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04CaliMonkchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 2 June 2015

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Don’t get fooled by the amount of guns in your inventory - Wild Wild West: The Steel Assassin is an “adventure-first”, “action-second” game. Listen to your Diego, who never let you down (apart from Community playthroughs). At least, if you can trust me as the game-stopping bug in the inn halfway through prevented me from reaching the end.

The game is inspired both by the 1999 blockbuster and luckily, to an even larger extent, an earlier TV show of the same name. A rare occassion where the game is better than the “source material” (1999 movie)? Grin There’re some wonderful puzzles, an even better voice acting and “Simon the Sorcerer 3D-esque” poorly modeled characters that are supposed to resemble Will Smith and Kevin Kline.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Hi, Dag! Sunday is waiting to be your “Cartoon day” this week. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The horse looks just like a plastic toy I had as a child when I was in my “Black Beauty” stage. Are they heading for the town of Hoffrungsthat? A creative name. Why do I think that bad things will happen there?

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Becky - 02 June 2015 07:06 PM

Why do I think that bad things will happen there?

I think the vultures by the clifff might be a clue.  Gasp

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 02 June 2015 07:06 PM

Why do I think that bad things will happen there?

Hehe… the screenshot is actually from the German version, and they changed the towns’s name on the sign. It’s Broken Hope. Not a welcoming town, indeed:

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This looks like a typical western ghost town. There probably was a gold or silver mine nearby, and they mined all the ore, and everyone then moved on except the people who want to stick around long enough to annoy and/or shoot one another. So we’re left with a barkeeper, a sheriff, a general store manager and a librarian who’s secretly in love with the sheriff.

Am I right?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 02 June 2015 05:56 PM

The game is inspired both by the 1999 blockbuster and luckily, to an even larger extent, an earlier TV show of the same name. A rare occassion where the game is better than the “source material” (1999 movie)? Grin There’re some wonderful puzzles, an even better voice acting and “Simon the Sorcerer 3D-esque” poorly modeled characters that are supposed to resemble Will Smith and Kevin Kline.

So, basically, they knew the series was being remade with Will Smith and Kevin Kline starring, but they didn’t know anything about the script so went back to the old series?
Good for them. Cool
The ‘99 film was godawful. And would’ve been even worse if Kline didn’t do his absolute best to make his lines funny, and if Branagh hadn’t been hamming it up and chewing the scenery all the time…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks for the info diego, I always thought of the game as more action orientated so it’s interesting to know that it’s biased towards adventure but how difficult are the action parts?  Smile

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

TimovieMan - 03 June 2015 06:31 AM

The ‘99 film was godawful. And would’ve been even worse if Kline didn’t do his absolute best to make his lines funny, and if Branagh hadn’t been hamming it up and chewing the scenery all the time…

It was indeed quite terrible. That giant spider? Wtf!  I wonder if we’ll see a spider in the game of that magnitude too, perhaps in some action sequence ?

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Never bothered seeing the film, the game looks pretty empty from the screens, but if there are decent puzzles, I might try and check it out.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 02 June 2015 08:45 PM

Am I right?

Hey, so you did play the game? Tongue

*actually, the town part is in the later stages of the game, so I’m afraid I can’t confirm it

TimovieMan - 03 June 2015 06:31 AM

So, basically, they knew the series was being remade with Will Smith and Kevin Kline starring, but they didn’t know anything about the script so went back to the old series?

Well, the story is actually continuation of that in the movie, but the general mood, style… is closer to the TV show. I think that’s because it accents the historical premise, western… more than the “steampunk” and comedy, though they’re still there.

chrissie - 03 June 2015 11:10 AM

I always thought of the game as more action orientated so it’s interesting to know that it’s biased towards adventure but how difficult are the action parts?  Smile

I think that’s because the first reviews on Google search or Mobygames are that of the action/general sites. Adventure site reviews are actually quite favorable - 3.5/5 on Metzomagic/Quandary, 4/5 on UHS and a glorifying review on Four Fat Chicks. As for the action, it’s mostly shooting, not that hard, though there’re also some sneaking/timed sequences involved.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top