• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 1 June 2015

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Pleurghburg: Dark Ages

2001 is often viewed as part of the “dark ages” of adventure games, after all, we all know that the genre “died” the year before! Wink However, where the “commercial” sector seemed to die off, the “freeware” sector began to come to life, as fans of the genre decided that if publishers weren’t going to give them the games they wanted, they’d just have to make them themselves.

The creation of free game engines, such as Adventure Game Studio (with which Pleurghburg was made) and this internet thing with all its wondrous Geocities sites and lightning quick 56k modems were big factors in making this possible.

For me, Pleurghburg (a game I have never been able to pronounce), has a place in adventure gaming history. Most of the freeware games made with AGS had been a bit, well, rubbish up to this point, but suddenly here was a game that stood out as a grown up game, longer than some commercial titles with a story and feel somewhere between Police Quest and Die Hard. I think it took everyone by surprise and was probably the first game to put AGS on the map as a tool to make games that were actually good. In a way, it seemed like adventure games had a future again.

The main thing I remember about this game is the attention to detail. Random NPC’s walk past you on the street, there are multiple endings, loads of characters, puzzles and inventory items and a serious story to boot. A real breath of fresh air at the time, although I’m not sure it stands up that well today - especially in the graphics department!

Anyway, enough of my opinions and the boring rose-tinted history lecture. (Please feel free to disagree as vehemently as you like below! Smile) Do you remember Pleurghburg?

By the way - if you’re wondering why I’m posting this and what happened to those much better ones that Karlok and Chrissie were doing, please see here for an explanation and/or to offer your services: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/5434/

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

hey intense, are you there? Tongue

well, that is supposedly gonna be a promising year, with this intense start and commitment.

On-topic, I came across images of this game many times before, glad to know what it really is. I don’t think there is an available link for it stands still?

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’d seen this game mentioned on the forums at some point, but didn’t realize what distinguished it. Thanks for the explanation.

Pleurghburg is easier to pronounce than Cthulhu, I think. With one you only have to smack your lips, and with the other you have to sneeze.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Yeah I’m still here, you know me Advie, ol’ reliable! Wink

You can still find the game here. Definitely dated but still playable.

Cthulhu may be a sneeze, but Pleueuarghaghburg is a dry wretch! I know which I find easier!  Sick  Wink

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve never played Pleurghburg but I’ve come across this unusually titled game in screenshot galleries so it’s interesting to learn a little more about it!  Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 01 June 2015 12:06 PM

Yeah I’m still here, you know me Advie, ol’ reliable! Wink

3 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Wink

Interesting history for the game, given its importance to AGS. Cool

I don’t see what’s so hard about the pronunciation, though. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone, especially given my preachy lecture of a post.

@Timo - hey, at least i’m consistent! You can always rely on me to be unreliable! Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top