• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 22 May 2015

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It was only as I was approaching the end of The Dark Eye 2: Memoria (2013) that I began to appreciate just how good the story was (although a little more depth would have been welcome) but with the 20 hour or so ‘journey’ up until then not being the entirely engaging experience I was hoping for.
However, I loved the artwork of the game, the scene above reminding me of a Pre-Raphaelite painting, found the puzzles incorporating the use of spells especially interesting (except for a dastardly crystal one which I hated!) & I really didn’t mind the voice-acting which to me seemed to suit the characters.

Memoria is a game that I know I would get a lot more out of on a replay - CPT anyone?   

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I think the princess and the staff are wonderfully entertaining characters and they form a nice dynamic duo. But it’s true that one has to reach pretty much the end of the story to really get the most out of it. It’s such a wonderful piece of writing.

I think the Dark Eye games have very nice puzzles too, magic is definitely done better than in Gray Matter Wink.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 22 May 2015 06:05 AM

Memoria is a game that I know I would get a lot more out of on a replay - CPT anyone?

I still haven’t finished The Whispered World. I can’t keep up with all these CPTs. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I actually proposed that some time ago, and people weren’t exactly queuing up to join. In fact, come to think of it, you didn’t vote for it yourself Tongue

Memoria is my favourite Daedalic game together with Edna & Harvey, and imltho one of the best games made in recent years.

millenia - 22 May 2015 06:39 AM

I think the princess and the staff are wonderfully entertaining characters and they form a nice dynamic duo.

I agree.

But it’s true that one has to reach pretty much the end of the story to really get the most out of it.

I don’t really agree.

It is true that there are some plot twists and things that aren’t revealed until near the end, and the chapters with Geron and Nuri aren’t nearly as good as those with Sadja. But I still think that the opening sequence with Sadja and the colossal statue, is one of the best scenes in the whole game.

I mean just look at her monologue:

Who will see you down here?
Who will worship you? Pay homage to you?
Very soon, I’ll be a thousand times greater than you ever were.
And unlike you, I won’t end up in a dark hole.
To win the battle. To be immortalized in history.
A thousand years from now, people will tell tales of my deeds and whisper my name in awe.
Sadja al’kebir - the greatest heroine the world has ever seen.

Talk about starting on a high note, not to mention that the discrepancy between this and what we or rather Geron and Nuri knows, sort of sets the tone or theme for the rest of the game. We know that no matter what else happens, then Sadja is bound to fail at her goal, and that her words are nothing but hubris. In fact I believe that the ending of the game is already foreshadowed right here in the beginning.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

With beautiful backgrounds, good soundtrack and voice acting and a great story with a satisfying ending, Memoria is my favorite Daedalic game.

It also got a worthy tenth place in the extremely prestigious Abnaxus`s top ten list Crazy

Abnaxus - 12 May 2015 06:31 PM

10. Memoria
9.  Myst IV Revelation
8.  Sanitarium
7.  Scratches
6.  Broken Sword: The Shadows of the Templars
5.  The Walking Dead: Season One
4.  Syberia
3.  Portal 2
2.  The Secret of Monkey Island
1.  Grim Fandango

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 22 May 2015 09:35 AM

I actually proposed that some time ago, and people weren’t exactly queuing up to join. In fact, come to think of it, you didn’t vote for it yourself Tongue

That’s a fair comment Izno but I tend to vote for games that either might be interesting to replay or those that I need a prompt to actually play & perhaps at the time I felt that Memoria was ‘too new’ & it was a game I had every intention of playing that I preferred to pursue in my own time which I have done!  Smile   

I think the princess and the staff are wonderfully entertaining characters and they form a nice dynamic duo.

I agree.

Me too! 

But it’s true that one has to reach pretty much the end of the story to really get the most out of it.

I don’t really agree.

It is true that there are some plot twists and things that aren’t revealed until near the end, and the chapters with Geron and Nuri aren’t nearly as good as those with Sadja. But I still think that the opening sequence with Sadja and the colossal statue, is one of the best scenes in the whole game.

I mean just look at her monologue:

Who will see you down here?
Who will worship you? Pay homage to you?
Very soon, I’ll be a thousand times greater than you ever were.
And unlike you, I won’t end up in a dark hole.
To win the battle. To be immortalized in history.
A thousand years from now, people will tell tales of my deeds and whisper my name in awe.
Sadja al’kebir - the greatest heroine the world has ever seen.

Talk about starting on a high note, not to mention that the discrepancy between this and what we or rather Geron and Nuri knows, sort of sets the tone or theme for the rest of the game. We know that no matter what else happens, then Sadja is bound to fail at her goal, and that her words are nothing but hubris. In fact I believe that the ending of the game is already foreshadowed right here in the beginning.

There’s no denying that the game starts off well & may foreshadow the end of it where the plot elements finally come together to make it a fascinating story although I’d liked to have learnt more about Sadja’s earlier experience that motivated her so much. The trouble for me was that in-between I found myself for the most part trundling along with no more than some lovely locations, intriguing characters & very nice puzzles which were the only aspects that kept me playing as any plot elements seemed to be ‘minor’ & lacked the substance to make the game consistently compelling throughout which I may perceive differently on a replay! 

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Memoria is FAR better than Chains of Satinav. The main reason for that is the storyline and of course the characters between the princess and the staff, two excellent-written characters. I cannot even compare them to the god-boring Geron and Nuri that made Chains dull as hell (the same applies for Geron’s chapters in Memoria of course) and have the personality of a haystack.
I do not consider Memoria the best game of Daedelic (that title goes The Whispered World IMO), but definately one of their top-5.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think the Dark Eye games have very nice puzzles too, magic is definitely done better than in Gray Matter Wink.

Mmm, this is interesting.

So, it’s ok to skip the first game and jump directly to his one?

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

It is, if you are not interested in the first game. The ending of the first game will be spoiled by Memoria, but there’s nothing in Chains of Satinav that would make it a must play to be able to enjoy Memoria. Personally I don’t think Chains of Satinav is that much worse (so I’d play it), but I never disliked Geron and Nuri like some others do. Also, it’s not like CoS is unplayable even if you spoil the ending.

I used a wink with the magic issue as the two things aren’t really completely comparable. In Gray Matter we are talking about tricks, in The Dark Eye games it’s actually magic (but it is cleverly used in puzzles).

And I stand by my word about the story. Having two excellent characters meeting wonderfully doesn’t really make the story yet. The real payoff is in the end. I’m mostly thinking about their banter and the “actual” story as separate items.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 22 May 2015 12:51 PM

So, it’s ok to skip the first game and jump directly to his one?

NO!

But Apart from that I agree with Millenia - Chains is NOT a bad game in its own right, and I enjoyed it almost as much as I did Memoria. Geron might be a bit of a bland character, but what anyone can have against Nuri is beyond my understanding - She’s adorable!

@Chrissie: My comment on a CPT of Memoria, was more of a tongue in cheek comment than seriously meant.

BTW anybody knows when we might get the 3rd game in the series?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 22 May 2015 01:48 PM

BTW anybody knows when we might get the 3rd game in the series

is that so? then let anybody tell us more about it! Foot in mouth

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top