• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 06 April 2015

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I can’t believe that it’s almost a year since Moebius: Empire Rising (2014) was released & still very much memorable in my mind as amongst the most interesting, thoughtful & well-researched games, that got me looking up stuff on the internet. 
Its title owes its roots to a factual theory with the ultimate goal in this game to prevent an adverse ‘organisation’ aware of the theory from ‘interrupting’ a pattern which would repeat history & lead onto greater things.

Okay, if that doesn’t make sense this well-structured ‘detective’ story with very good voice-acting & great music also focuses on the liaison between protagonist Malachi Rector, portrayed as a very tall gangly man with awkward movement, & his hired ‘body guard’ David Walker. There is an allusion to homo-sexual attraction but actually later on in the game it becomes obvious that it’s more of a ‘spiritual’ association (I thought.)   

For me the story moved along at a pace that kept grabbing my attention & I just loved the immersive bright, vibrant & colourful backgrounds so beautifully drawn & also the portrayal of the characters with attention to details of clothing, facial expression & gesture.  I found it to be a unique game with a lot of subtleties, especially within the personalities of Malachi & David, & I know it’s too much to hope that there will be a sequel. 

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Sounds intriguing.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I really liked the friendship of those two characters and that’s the main reason the story entertained me and the game stayed as a good (perhaps even great) game even with its shortcomings.

Personally I’m very much into BL but I think even without that interest I would have picked up those homoerotic innuendos (I have noticed them here and there during the years before I got acquainted with BL, and while they are not painfully obvious in this game, they are present). I think the main duo is a fated couple, which can mean romantic love and/or something else - it’s not like the lines between romance/sexuality/friendship/partnership are that clear. (I’m talking about the fate within the story, in reality I don’t really believe a fate of that kind, or the other phenomena present in this game.)

I actually should have added Moebius to my top 10 of last year, but I managed to forgot it somehow Grin. Well, a lot has happened to me last year, so it’s no wonder.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m pretty sure that Moebius will eventually be considered a Masterpiece but may take up to 10 years to get there!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

chrissie - 07 April 2015 03:56 PM

I’m pretty sure that Moebius will eventually be considered a Masterpiece but may take up to 10 years to get there!

Well GK2 is considered one and I don’t think Moebius is much different, bugs aside.

Let’s be honest, all Jane Jensen games are very similar. She’s like a gaming Stephen King or Terry Pratchett. We all have favorites, but I think people who consider GK2 a masterpiece and not Gray Matter or Moebius are crazy. They’re all quite simply, good games.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 07 April 2015 07:11 PM

Let’s be honest, all Jane Jensen games are very similar. She’s like a gaming Stephen King or Terry Pratchett. We all have favorites, but I think people who consider GK2 a masterpiece and not Gray Matter or Moebius are crazy. They’re all quite simply, good games.

All the things that I loved in GK2 are missing in Gray Matter and Moebius: Gabriel’s personality, FMV (some people couldn’t act, but at least they looked like real humans), fantastic story, the charismatic Von Glower, the opera and the wonderful music, switching from Gabe to Grace and back, the grand finale.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 07 April 2015 07:11 PM

but I think people who consider GK2 a masterpiece and not Gray Matter or Moebius are crazy.

Phew .. then I’m not crazy, because I never considered GK2 a masterpiece Tongue

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I personally think that Gray Matter and Moebius did get unnecessary amount of shit, perhaps because the GK trilogy is so golden. People compare the new games to their favourite GK one and feel disappointed. But nothing really can beat your favourite classic.

I’m not saying all criticism would be baseless, there are definitely flaws in the games. I just think it’s been a bit too much.

I gave Gray Matter 5 stars and Moebius 4 and I stick to those decisions at least so far. Don’t know what replays will do.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 08 April 2015 06:04 AM

All the things that I loved in GK2 are missing in Gray Matter and Moebius: Gabriel’s personality, FMV (some people couldn’t act, but at least they looked like real humans), fantastic story, the charismatic Von Glower, the opera and the wonderful music, switching from Gabe to Grace and back, the grand finale.

I loved GK2 for exactly the same reason & it’s a game with FMV done well & yes I was very engaged by all of the actors especially Von Glower! along with the structure of the interesting story but as such a hard game to compete with (I thought)!

millenia - 08 April 2015 11:20 AM

I personally think that Gray Matter and Moebius did get unnecessary amount of shit, perhaps because the GK trilogy is so golden. People compare the new games to their favourite GK one and feel disappointed. But nothing really can beat your favourite classic.
I gave Gray Matter 5 stars and Moebius 4 and I stick to those decisions at least so far. Don’t know what replays will do.

I personally think that each of the 3 games in the Gabriel Knight trilogy shone more brightly than either Gray Matter or Moebius so as a trilogy a very difficult path for JJ to match the appeal of characters within those subsequent games to those in the GK games. But both GM & Moebius have such an interesting combination of characters, each with the potential to learn more about them & shine too, & also develop the storyline, so it would be lovely to have sequels for both of them! And maybe for them to match the GK series - maybe? For this to happen the games so far have to be appreciated for the different ideas in mind (JJ is one of the best AG story writers IMO so please embrace rather than criticise other than constructively) & the far lower budgets to develop them than were available in the past! (They’re also cheaper to buy - don’t forget! Laughing )

millennia, I think I like Moebius better as it came across as the more ‘purer’ game & I liked the ‘rawness’ if that makes sense? Gray Matter, yes, was the more familiar completely competent presentation of a game & in the hands of WizarBox so not quite in the control of JJ, but the story was just as good! Laughing

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’d very much like to get sequels to both of the games too. I thought Gray Matter has better puzzles than Moebius, making its gameplay smoother. But I also have some personal likings which Gray Matter provides, like the gothic feeling and the whole “circus” thing. I find them very appealing. And while the friendship of Malachi and David is definitely one of those things I’m into, I feel that overall the game had less stuff for me.

I will be replaying both of those games anyway.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top