• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 19 February 2015

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Today’s pic is from The Daedalus Encounter (1994). You can either thank or blame Sefir for that. Tongue (See his comment on yesterday’s AGSotD.) You are Casey, a crew member aboard a spaceship and you were almost fatally wounded in a battle during the interstellar war. The other two crew members, Ari and Zack, couldn’t save your body but your brain is still alive and kicking! Your brain/mind is attached to a support mechanism with artificial senses. Cool! Beats being AFGNCAAP any day. Cool Look at the window in the screenshot, that’s you. As Ari puts it: You may not look the same on the outside, Casey, but I know it’s you on the inside. Thumbs Up

Okay, so now we get to Sefir’s comment. Isn’t it obvious that as a brain-in-a-box (Zack’s words, not mine) you NEED this interface to function as a crew member? A valuable one too.

Don’t let anybody tell you that The Daedalus Encounter is a bad game. I enjoyed it, except for the bugs. The acting was very good. Sometimes you can sense that an actor had fun playing his part, and I’m convinced that was true for Tia Carrere and Christian Bocher.

PS: You don’t have to look at this interface screen all the time.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I enjoyed it too Karlok!!  Laughing
Despite my complaining yesterday, I remember getting around the interface pretty easily.

The acting was cheesy at best, but got the job done. I believe that the smart and sometimes funny dialog script as well as the nice chemistry between the actors had something to do about it.

Nice riddles and very interesting…main character concept. Tongue

As usual, its worst part was the greatest nightmare of a labyrinth I’ve ever seen. And I had to get twice in there!!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 19 February 2015 11:38 AM

Most reviewers didn’t like the game. Strange. It has the dated, grainy look of the early nineties, but it’s much better than other FMV titles like Quantum Gate.

The acting was cheesy at best, but got the job done.

I’m a cheese person.  Yum The whole game has a tongue-in-cheek feel.

I believe that the smart and sometimes funny dialog script as well as the nice chemistry between the actors had something to do about it.

Yeah, when there’s chemistry, you can feel that the actors enjoy their part. 

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 19 February 2015 10:51 AM

Sometimes you can sense that an actor had fun playing his part, and I’m convinced that was true for Tia Carrere and Christian Bocher.

Aha, that explains why I thought she looked like Tia Carrere… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Who’s Tia Career Carrere?
Edit: Never mind.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 19 February 2015 12:00 PM

Most reviewers didn’t like the game. Strange. It has the dated, grainy look of the early nineties, but it’s much better than other FMV titles like Quantum Gate.

Hey, I really liked Quantum Gate! Maybe I should try this Daedalus game then. If I can get past the horrible interface.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 19 February 2015 06:22 PM
Karlok - 19 February 2015 12:00 PM

Hey, I really liked Quantum Gate! Maybe I should try this Daedalus game then. If I can get past the horrible interface.

You liked Quantum Gate? I’be very interested in your comments on my AGSotD here. As far as I’m concerned, the games are worlds apart.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 19 February 2015 07:42 PM

You liked Quantum Gate? I’be very interested in your comments on my AGSotD here. As far as I’m concerned, the games are worlds apart.

I don’t really have any comments, since it was almost 20 years ago I played it. I think I may have only played the demo. But it was the first thing of its kind and I found it exciting. I think it was more the prospect of it being touted as a new form of interactive cinematic entertainment, something which was never developed any further. I have no doubt that if I played it today for the first time I would see it differently.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I really enjoyed this one! I’m a sucker for FMV cheesy goodness especially when it comes to science fiction! That and being a fan of B movies probably has a lot to do with it, lol. If you like this you would also like Dark Side of the Moon, and RAMA. Possibly Darkstar as well, which I own but unfortunately can’t play due to my DVD drive Meh

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

DSOTM was/is a great game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

rtrooney - 19 February 2015 11:29 PM

DSOTM was/is a great game.

It’s a shame 20,000 Leagues: The Adventure Continues was cancelled. The demo showed so much potential. I’m sure it would have been every bit as good as DSOTM.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sir Beardalot - 20 February 2015 01:46 AM

It’s a shame 20,000 Leagues: The Adventure Continues was cancelled. The demo showed so much potential. I’m sure it would have been every bit as good as DSOTM.

Yes, it would have been great to play another Sheldon/Southpeak game, in spite of their clumsy Video Reality engine. See a previous AGSotD. Temujin is also one of my favorites.

I find it interesting that many companies tried to give the character of the player in first-person games a twist. It’s AFGNCAAP in most Mystian games. DSotM had a character with a name, a voice, a history but no face, Temujin had a dumb, faceless character whose identity was a mystery until the end.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sir Beardalot - 19 February 2015 10:32 PM

I’m a sucker for FMV cheesy goodness especially when it comes to science fiction!

Possibly Darkstar as well, which I own but unfortunately can’t play due to my DVD drive Meh

I’m sure you’d love Darkstar. It’s by the Masters of Cheese, the MST3K crowd… Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 20 February 2015 05:39 AM
Sir Beardalot - 20 February 2015 01:46 AM

Yes, it would have been great to play another Sheldon/Southpeak game, in spite of their clumsy Video Reality engine. See a previous AGSotD. Temujin is also one of my favorites.

I find it interesting that many companies tried to give the character of the player in first-person games a twist. It’s AFGNCAAP in most Mystian games. DSotM had a character with a name, a voice, a history but no face, Temujin had a dumb, faceless character whose identity was a mystery until the end.

Is Temujin available anywhere, to your knowledge? I would have proposed it for the new CP but can’t find a copy.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 20 February 2015 09:43 PM

Is Temujin available anywhere, to your knowledge? I would have proposed it for the new CP but can’t find a copy.

It’s available at ebay and gametz. Or amazon.com if you’re willing to pay four times the ebay price.

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

TimovieMan - 20 February 2015 06:48 AM
Sir Beardalot - 19 February 2015 10:32 PM

I’m a sucker for FMV cheesy goodness especially when it comes to science fiction!

Possibly Darkstar as well, which I own but unfortunately can’t play due to my DVD drive Meh

I’m sure you’d love Darkstar. It’s by the Masters of Cheese, the MST3K crowd… Cool

Yep, that was the reason I had to have it. I used to love watching MST3K!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top