• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04CharophyceanLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 17 February 2015

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Blue Ice (1996) must be the hardest and the most surreal adventure game in the universe. Certainly not for the faint of heart. Many people reported the game was bugged because they couldn’t get started. Right, getting started is a puzzle. Smile The first part of the game consists of five wicked quests and the second part was supposed to be a contest. Nobody managed to solve the second part until a few experienced and dedicated players decided to work at it as a team. In the end they pulled it off, but I remember it took them a long time.

There’s not much of a story, something about a dead King and an heir to the throne. Maybe there was more to it and I didn’t get far enough. Lots of text, a narrator (Tom Conti!), good music, and very beautiful graphics. I always enjoy interactive screens where you click on everything and discover what happens (Ceremony of Innocence, Alice: An Interactive Museum), so I had fun with Blue Ice and its strange puzzles. But in the end I ran out of patience. Maybe one day…

EDIT: The AG reviewer gave it one star. Ouch.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I always wanted to play Blue Ice but were somehow discouraged by the reviews and players’ experiences. Your review discouraged me even more on one hand, still I’m strangely enticed to finally try it on the other hand.
I love weird games, at least you never have to rescue the whole humanity in those.

Karlok - 17 February 2015 04:40 AM

I always enjoy interactive screens where you click on everything and discover what happens

Have you tried the Python adventures? They’re just like that: click anywhere and watch what happens.
And what ensues is hilarious (if you like Python humo(u)r, that is).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 17 February 2015 04:57 AM

Have you tried the Python adventures? They’re just like that: click anywhere and watch what happens.
And what ensues is hilarious (if you like Python humo(u)r, that is).

Yep, I have. Liked it! See here. It’s the only one I’ve tried though.

You should give Blue Ice a chance. You just need the right state of mind.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 17 February 2015 05:08 AM

Yep, I have. Liked it! See here.

I forgot that! You reminded me of something I have to post in the quiz thread. Thanks.

It’s the only one I’ve tried though.

If you liked it, give The Meaning of Life a try, by all means. It’s better (as an AG).

You should give Blue Ice a chance. You just need the right state of mind.

I would, but I always have things to do. So much that I can’t understand the folks who say they’re bored (every now and then).

More off-topic:
Complete Waste of Time is just a MPFC showcase combined with a lot of mazes (fun for the likes of me), but The Meaning of Life is a kind of a full-fledged adventure (specially the second and the third part of it) with some wicked (but rewarding) puzzles. I intended to replay those soon. The other night (in order to relax from staring at the game screenshots, while the quiz was on) I loaded an old save game of The Quest for the Holy Grail (which I still have on my PC) and spanked some virgins & tried to escape from cows the Frenchmen hurled at me by a catapult . Sounds crazy, doesn’t it?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I remember trying the game at the time for a bit, definitely was not for me.

The wiki has some interesting part about the ending (or lack of):

In fact, even though an author-aided walkthrough to the game exists, which apparently leads to the game’s “Ultimate Solution”, Blue Ice had the peculiarity of never treating the player any sort of real “ending screen” or even any progress confirmation or feedback.

The purported reason is that a cash-prize competition was originally to be held involving the solution to the game, which explains why a lot of the later puzzles were apparently irrational, intentionally clueless or even incomplete, and why the game didn’t actually include any progress indicators, any form of feedback or even a true “ending screen” confirming having reached the final solution or at least being on the right path. The authors’ intention was to prevent hacking into a final screen and making illegitimate claims to the proposed prize, so instead players were expected to post a complete progress report. The competition, however, was never held.

Well, it’s innovative Smile

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

The approach to this game is somewhat like looking at those 3D pictures that look like nothing but colored lines until you stare into them for some time and your brain is forced into seeing the hidden picture.  Blue Ice has a goofy logic all it’s own that you don’t “see” until about two or three hours in, if you can stand it that long, that is. 

Maddening but fiendishly clever.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top