• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

RemySefirVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

7th Place Match - The Big AG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

7th place match

The Longest Journey                       19
'Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars   8 

p31

Voting for this match will end on 15 February at 23:59 GMT.

Vote for the game you think is better in this duel. The game that win this match will also win the 7th place in the tournament!

Not sure what this tournament is all about? See the Overview thread here.

With sincere apologies to any new members joining the forum recently, due to concerns about ballot stuffing and vote fishing, only member accounts registered prior to 01.01.2015. may vote.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Longest Journey

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

What an impossible choice! I love them both & they’re such different games…..okay:

The Longest Journey

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

I vote for The Longest Journey.

I like the first Broken Sword quite a lot as well, and it’s arguably a slicker experience by a team that were clearly experienced adventure game developers and knew what they were doing. It’s a really fun game with great writing, animation, puzzles, and sound that puts the adventure in adventure game with its globe-trotting, Indiana Jones-like vibe.

TLJ in comparison is a bit more rough—it’s verbose; it’s got at least one rather ridiculous puzzle in the Rubber Ducky puzzle; it’s got a slightly dodgy pseudo-action sequence with a monster who never hurts you. In general, it has the raw ambition of a young and very talented team. But it’s full of memorable characters: Abnaxus, Burns Flipper, Cortez, Brian Westhouse, Crow, and of course, April Ryan herself. The gameplay and puzzles are quite good overall. The fantasy and sci-fi worlds you explore are vibrant and interesting. The ending is bold and thought-provoking. And the game really stuck with me and was personally meaningful.

A game with a soul has some depth, it has something to say. It’s a game with flaws, with edges, sharp ones, and unpolished surfaces. TLJ and Dreamfall were both games with tons of unpolished surfaces and sharp edges, they were games that could annoy you, but they also made you feel. Anyone who played those games felt something.

[A game with a soul] is alive. It has that beautiful core.

—Ragnar Tornquist and Dag Scheve, RockPaperShotgun interview

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Caliburn - 08 February 2015 08:50 PM

I like the first Broken Sword quite a lot as well, and it’s arguably a slicker experience by a team that were clearly experienced adventure game developers and knew what they were doing. It’s a really fun game with great writing, animation, puzzles, and sound that puts the adventure in adventure game with its globe-trotting, Indiana Jones-like vibe.

TLJ in comparison is a bit more rough—it’s verbose; it’s got at least one rather ridiculous puzzle in the Rubber Ducky puzzle; it’s got a slightly dodgy pseudo-action sequence with a monster who never hurts you. In general, it has the raw ambition of a young and very talented team. But it’s full of memorable characters: Abnaxus, Burns Flipper, Cortez, Brian Westhouse, Crow, and of course, April Ryan herself. The gameplay and puzzles are quite good overall. The fantasy and sci-fi worlds you explore are vibrant and interesting. The ending is bold and thought-provoking. And the game really stuck with me and was personally meaningful.

That’s such a good description of differences between the games Caliburn which I hadn’t really ‘analysed’ myself but when it came to choosing & on the verge of abstaining to vote, the depth of the story & of some of the characters within the lovely immersive worlds of The Longest Journey sprang to mind along with the down-to-earth realness of some of the situations. As good as I thought BS1 was I couldn’t describe it as a thought-provoking game as TLJ was.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

TLJ by 10,000 miles.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

The Longest Journey. Not even close.

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Broken Sword.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

The Longest Journey.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Meh…as far as I’m concerned this should have been a semi-final match at least. I can’t really vote for any here for a mere 7th spot.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Finally I can vote for TLJ. Was beginning to feel guilty Smile

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The Longest Journey

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the manageable dialogues!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2988

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TLJ of course

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

TLJ for me too.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2006-04-30

PM