• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdam

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 20 October 2014

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I thought playing Lucius (2012) would be an interesting experience but gave up after the 1st chapter. Apart from finding the camera angles & keyboard/mouse interface awkward I realised that controlling the 6 year old son of the devil on a killing spree was something I couldn’t continue with.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I have yet to try this game but I think it’s possibly one of the settings where I might actually be able to find my inner devil and do evil things. Usually I find it very hard playing evil characters, but the 6yo son of devil is something so absurd that it just might work.

Also most of the screenshots of this game look really nice.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

One reason that I prefer adventures over other genres is the fact that, through their storyline (probably the most important aspect IMO), moral lessons could be passed. I really fail to see that in controlling a 6-year old child on a creative killing spree. A disgrace of an adventure game.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 20 October 2014 07:20 AM

One reason that I prefer adventures over other genres is the fact that, through their storyline (probably the most important aspect IMO), moral lessons could be passed.

Sefir, seriously?

Well, if you ever need a list of adventures to avoid, you know where to find me. Smile For instance, you should avoid yesterday’s AGSotD like the plague. Richard and Alice is another one, though for entirely different reasons.

I really fail to see that in controlling a 6-year old child on a creative killing spree.

Agreed. Lucius doesn’t sound like a game I want to play. Now if only they’d called the child Rosemary’s Baby…  Innocent

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 20 October 2014 08:51 AM

Now if only they’d called the child Rosemary’s Baby…  Innocent

Or Damien. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 20 October 2014 12:21 PM

Or Damien. Smile

The Omen, or Only Fools and Horses? Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I am serious! The influence of a game (or book or movie) that has on its viewers is something major for me! I have played many adventure games that while of good quality in general, I was unable to enjoy them because of that (Full Throttle for example).To put it bluntly, it is the difference between Trainspotting (“Hey! These people are actually have fun!! Perhaps we should do drugs too!”) and Requiem for a Dream (“This is a shit situation! They might be exaggerating,  but in any case we should stay away from drugs as possible!”). However, I am very resceptive in any kind of material concerning parody or satire.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I would have enjoyed the 1st puzzle to find a way of causing death, in as far as I got, if the person ‘deserved it’ but she didn’t do anything wrong! Give me an AG equivalent of something like Kill Bill where you could relish in finding ways of taking revenge!!! The problem with the story for me in Lucius is that the victims are ordinary innocent people.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 20 October 2014 12:30 PM

it is the difference between Trainspotting (“Hey! These people are actually have fun!! Perhaps we should do drugs too!”) and Requiem for a Dream

Just because it doesn’t try to patronize or hammer a moral into your head, doesn’t mean it’s not painting a really poor picture of drug addiction. It just not as heavy-handed with its approach as Requiem for a Dream.
Saying that the film makes drugs look fun means you completely missed the point of Trainspotting, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 20 October 2014 03:25 PM

it is the difference between Trainspotting (“Hey! These people are actually have fun!! Perhaps we should do drugs too!”) and Requiem for a Dream

Just because it doesn’t try to patronize or hammer a moral into your head, doesn’t mean it’s not painting a really poor picture of drug addiction. It just not as heavy-handed with its approach as Requiem for a Dream.
Saying that the film makes drugs look fun means you completely missed the point of Trainspotting, imo.

Believe me, that was the reaction I received by many people for these films. And yes, I hold the films responsiblefor whatever influence they provide. Good or bad.
Even so, the point of Lucius is…?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sefir - 20 October 2014 04:01 PM
TimovieMan - 20 October 2014 03:25 PM

Believe me, that was the reaction I received by many people for these films. And yes, I hold the films responsiblefor whatever influence they provide. Good or bad.
Even so, the point of Lucius is…?

I never played it but seems like a horror game, like most horror movies, it could be about shock or unsettling feelings , don’t necessarly have to make a point.

@Timovieman
Off-topic: There’s nothing heavy handed about Requiem for a Dream! It’s a brilliant raw picture of drug addiction. Just had to get it out there… I agree that Trainpotting doens’t really make drugs look fun, that would be Wolf of Wall Street Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 20 October 2014 04:16 PM

@Timovieman
Off-topic: There’s nothing heavy handed about Requiem for a Dream! It’s a brilliant raw picture of drug addiction. Just had to get it out there… I agree that Trainpotting doens’t really make drugs look fun, that would be Wolf of Wall Street Smile

Off-topic, but if I could direct you to my top 100 movies, you’ll notice that both Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream are on there.
And frankly, if I had to pick between the two, I’d have to pick Requiem. I don’t think there’s ever been another film that ended up making me physically ill. Seriously, Requiem for a Dream always makes me feel like I’ve been smacked upside the head with a sledgehammer…

Sefir - 20 October 2014 04:01 PM

That’s just a case of misaimed fandom. I mean, films like American History X and Romper Stomper are actually popular amongst Neo-Nazi skinheads as well. Proves their intelligence, imo. Shifty Eyed

And as for Lucius, isn’t part of the idea simply to shock the audience? Or to somehow point out to the player how messed up he/she actually is for relishing the acts of killing innocents?

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

If Trainspotting is portraying drugs as fun the RfaD is downright preachy propaganda then. Both are great movies but I personally never loved Requiem so unconditionally as loads of other people did. And I don’t really know wnyone who thinks Trainspotting is a fun party movie or something like that. It has tons of horribly disturbing stuff in it.

Anyway, as I said already, usually I’m not good at playing evil characters, I always go for something from chaotic good to true neutral if there is a choice. But in adventures I can also explore characters out of my comfort zone. I love how much of dicks those Gordon guys are in BM games for example. It’s all about the setting and the execution. The characters in IHNAIMS were very interesting too and most of them were pretty bad dudes.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 20 October 2014 05:58 PM

Off-topic, but if I could direct you to my top 100 movies, you’ll notice that both Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream are on there.
And frankly, if I had to pick between the two, I’d have to pick Requiem. I don’t think there’s ever been another film that ended up making me physically ill. Seriously, Requiem for a Dream always makes me feel like I’ve been smacked upside the head with a sledgehammer…

My mistake, I misintepreted the heavy handed comment, completely agree!

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Also off comment. I rated Requiem for a Dream 3 stars on Neflix. I don’t recall why, but my guess is that it staked a middle ground between the actors giving an absolutely superb performance, and the absolutely appalling reality of what the actors were delivering.

1=Hate it. 5=Love it. Per the Stealers Wheel song, Stuck in the Middle with You.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top