• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 9 July 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I bought Culpa Innata during the Steam summer sale two years ago and still haven’t played it. I’m curious about this game, but I can’t seem to get excited about it. The fact that I couldn’t find a single interesting-looking screenshot for today’s scene, and that 90% of the screenshots I could find showed the man character just chatting with someone, is not going to help.

Still, I know the game has a few very passionate fans anxious to see the sequel (is that ever going to happen?), so it’s never quite completely off my radar.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Yes, tons of conversations. Interrogations, actually. You can choose the wrong approach and then they won’t talk to you anymore or you won’t get the info you need. The story was interesting. I kind of liked playing Culpa Innata in spite of its many flaws.

But don’t get me started on the puzzles. Awful, with one or two exceptions. Either trial-and-error or following directions to the letter. The worst one was translating a list of Russian names into English. The Cyrillic/English alphabet is provided by the game and then you have to click on every single letter in the list and on its English counterpart. That’s not a puzzle, that’s an exercise in boredom.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Now it happened, the forum ate my post!

Anyway, I’m one of the die hard fans. I just love the game despite the flaws. At first I wasn’t too enthusiastic either, I thought it looked kinda old and I was a bit lost in the beginning (I played the version without full subtitles). Then it just grabbed me, I had to finish this in a few nights and I would have finished it in one session if there weren’t things like my children to take care of Wink (or falling asleep, it’s not terribly short game). I rarely get an actual compulsion to get back to a game but this one hooked me bad.

The sequel (if it ever comes) is on my top 5 most anticipated games along with Jensen’s new projects and Tex 6.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I went into the game pretty skeptical, but ended up enjoying it a lot.

I would play a sequel.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-03-08

PM

Yeah, Culpa has a bad case of TLJ. All you do is chat. After chatting all day long you can choose to go out with your girlfriend and chat about how you chatted. There are tons of dialogue options but choosing the wrong one won’t end the game, it’ll extend it with even more chatting.

I couldn’t finish it due to a bug. May go back to it someday if I’m really bored, since it did have a certain style to it.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Pumba!Ramba - 09 July 2012 03:19 PM

Culpa… All you do is chat. After chatting all day long you can choose to go out with your girlfriend and chat about how you chatted.

LOL!

I’m intending to play Culpa Innata one of these days. Can anyone explain what exactly is the difference between the two versions of the game I know about (censored and uncensored)?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I remember really loving this game but it was so long ago I can’t remember why!!, but been looking forward to a sequel ever since!!! zobraks, the difference between the censored & uncensored version is just a few mild intimate scenes which were cut out from some releases - I have the uncensored version & I just don’t know what the fuss was about! Surely murdering someone in cold blood is far worse than a couple having sex/making love & I don’t remember it being that graphic! 

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

The main difference is that uncensored version has full subtitles as the censored version has only subtitles to conversations. Then I guess there is one voluntary sex scene which I have not checked out (not sure if there is supposed to be more).

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Thank you both for clearing this up!  Smile

I’ll play the uncensored version for sure: I’m all for sex & subtitles.
Subtitled sex is the best.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I haven’t played the uncensored version, but in the censored one you can make our heroine try to pick up a bouncer several times. I guess the reason is that terrible friend of hers keeps telling her she should get more sex. The guy is very polite but nothing doing. Frown

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

I played the censored version of CI, liked it but didn’t love it like others did here. A very interesting vision of the future, the opening cutscene gave me chills. (Reading the displays chronicling the future history made me chuckle (nuclear accident in Quebec! Crazy)) Lots of questions and frank discussions about people’s sex lives! Grin The puzzles weren’t hard, though I wish Phoenix could have used her computer more. For me, one of the fun parts of the game was interviewing the candidates for admission into the World Union. (It’s worth saving the game before each interview to see the different outcomes.) If the sequel, Chaos Rising, ever comes out, I’d play it to see if the story is resolved properly.

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Got my copy about two years ago but couldn’t ever get it working on Windows 7. Oh well, Windows 8 is coming out soon so maybe.

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

millenia - 09 July 2012 04:14 PM

The main difference is that uncensored version has full subtitles as the censored version has only subtitles to conversations. Then I guess there is one voluntary sex scene which I have not checked out (not sure if there is supposed to be more).

Versus an involuntary scene of sex, or a scene of involuntary sex?  Tongue

Currently Playing: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes;
Currently Re-Playing: Culpa Innata

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Trunkyo - 10 July 2012 10:26 AM

I played the censored version of CI, liked it but didn’t love it like others did here. A very interesting vision of the future, the opening cutscene gave me chills. (Reading the displays chronicling the future history made me chuckle (nuclear accident in Quebec! Crazy)) Lots of questions and frank discussions about people’s sex lives! Grin The puzzles weren’t hard, though I wish Phoenix could have used her computer more. For me, one of the fun parts of the game was interviewing the candidates for admission into the World Union. (It’s worth saving the game before each interview to see the different outcomes.) If the sequel, Chaos Rising, ever comes out, I’d play it to see if the story is resolved properly.

I liked those interrogation scenes, but I always ended up feeling bad - each time I intended to be nice and allow them into the World Union, but without meaning to I (well, Phoenix) always ended up accusing them of something!

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Fien - 10 July 2012 04:23 AM

I haven’t played the uncensored version, but in the censored one you can make our heroine try to pick up a bouncer several times. I guess the reason is that terrible friend of hers keeps telling her she should get more sex. The guy is very polite but nothing doing. Frown

I guess I don’t know which version I played, but in addition to flirting with the bouncer I do remember also having a one night stand with a guy (I think he was a reporter). I don’t recall any explicit scenes, just the implication that they slept together. And then Phoenix complained about how unenjoyable it was.

In this future world people were supposed to be very open about their sex lives, and a lot of sex with different people was supposed to be the healthy lifestyle choice. Everyone thought Phoenix was weird for not being into having sex. And although I really liked this game, I did find Phoenix a bit annoying when she often whined about how much she didn’t enjoy having sex. I guess I think they emphasized it too much. They could have hit on the point that she was different from everybody else in that regard one time and then left the topic alone after that.

But overall I enjoyed this game a ton. I doubt the sequel will ever see the light of day, but if it does I will definitely be playing it!

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

J-Boo - 10 July 2012 11:36 AM

I guess I don’t know which version I played, but in addition to flirting with the bouncer I do remember also having a one night stand with a guy (I think he was a reporter). I don’t recall any explicit scenes, just the implication that they slept together. And then Phoenix complained about how unenjoyable it was.

Yes, that’s right. She has a one-night stand out of a sense of duty to society or something. Smile It’s coming back to me now. But wasn’t there also some boyfriend in the background she slept with on a more or less regular basis…?

The future world in the game was far from believable. It’s of course possible to suppress or repress human emotions, but not when looking out for number one is strongly encouraged.

Looking forward to:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top