• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m trying to narrow down my list to nominate—I gather we’re only nominating games we’ve finished (so we know they’re good to the end), rather than games that we haven’t tried yet that look good.  Smile

A question—are we nominating only games with Hidden Object gameplay? Or can we also nominate casual adventures (like Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost)?

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

rtrooney - 03 August 2014 11:02 PM

I’m going to nominate Serpent Flame as a starter.

I’m going to add a few more:

Myths of the World - Of Fiends and Fairies How could I not add it in that I said it was the best casual I have played this year. Music, voice acting, graphics, story…it has it all.

Angelica Weaver - Catch Me When You Can I’m adding this because I think those that play “regular” adventure detective-style games will find this a very competent casual detective-style game. Plus, one of my good game-designer pals, Josh Mandel, was blown away by the 90-second tracking shot animation that opens the game.

E.P.I.C: Wishmaster Only because it’s the only game of its type we’ve uncovered so far, and meets the criteria of being a pure Space/Sci-Fi/Time travel casual adventure.

Get your nominations in! Saturday, August 9 at the bewitching hour is the deadline. Unless, of course we want to nominate Becky as the Leader by unanimous vote! Now she knows how Sefir must feel.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m thinking we can nominate any casual game. Nether the two Azada games nor Penumbra Hotel have hidden objects scenes, but they certainly qualify.

Regarding the second question, I think most people would nominate a game they’ve played, although it’s probably not a requirement. It would eliminate some clunkers being nominated. But I’m sure people nominate games they haven’t played in the CPT. I’ve nominated a game because I wanted to play it, but didn’t feel like going solo.

As for voting, it’s definitely not a requirement that you’ve played it in order to vote for it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks—that helps!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! Let’s try to clear this up. Nominations for the “Casual Play Date” (that’s what I’m going to call it for the time being) started on August 2nd and will last until August 9. Currently there are only four nominations, all mine, which is a fairly feeble sample. It’s also a bit disappointing in that the number of people nominating games is usually indicative of the number of people who will participate in the “Play Date” While it might seem enjoyable, I guarantee that I will not be playing with or by myself re: this playthrough.

On August 10 we will vote for the nominated games. The game receiving the most votes wins. Simple as that, unless there’s a tie. In that case there will be a runoff vote, and the winner of that runoff vote wins.

When all of that is done, we set the ground rules, starting with who will lead the game.

That person will set the benchmarks.

And then we start to play!

I hope we select a good game. And I hope observers such as Iz join in and enjoy the experience.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I think a play through sounds like fun so count me in. I was going to leave the nominations up to the thread regulars but if you want more…
Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood
9: The Dark Side of Notre Dame

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Well, I had trouble narrowing this down, but what I came up with for nominations are:

The Emerald Maiden: Symphony of Dreams
Eternal Journey: New Atlantis
Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost
Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood
Dead Reckoning: Silvermoon Isle

I’ve played and finished the first four games on the list. The fifth game I’ve only played the demo, but it looks promising. One of the things I enjoy about casual games is that new ones release frequently, so there is always something new to try out.

Enigmatis is the second game in a series. But it does an especially good job of telling a story, and if you like it, you could return to the first game afterwards and play that as a prequel.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Furgotten—I didn’t see your post as I was writing mine. Apparently we think alike! Smile

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Good choices, Becky! I am pretty sure I missed some of the finer points of the Ravenwood plot so the discussion would be fun. I think all of the nominations so far would be good though.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Current Nominations August 6,2014

Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood (2 nominations)
House of 1000 Doors - Serpent Flame
Myths of the World - Of Fiends and Fairies
Angelica Weaver - Catch Me When You Can
E.P.I.C: Wishmaster

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 06 August 2014 11:26 AM

Current Nominations August 6,2014

9: The Dark Side—I liked the first game better than the sequel(?) “9: The Dark Side of Notre Dame.”
Mystery Case Files: Fate’s Carnival—turned out to be completely different from the first Madame Fate game.
House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret—The first in the series.
Myths of the World - Of Fiends and Fairies—2nd nomination. Bought it after rtrooney’s recommendation. Haven’t played more than 10 or 15 minutes.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! I’m only going to do one update per day. Don’t get upset if you don’t immediately see your nominations. So that means one tomorrow and one either Friday or Saturday morning, and then we start to vote.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Current Nominations August 7,2014

9: The Dark Side
House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret
(2 nominations)
Mystery Case Files: Fate’s Carnival

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I just finished Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes that I think can be a candidate. It has astonishing graphics, for a casual game, and a good story.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Current Nominations August 8,2014

9: The Dark Side
House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret
(2 nominations)
Mystery Case Files: Fate’s Carnival
Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes

One more day of nominations and then the voting begins. BTW, you can vote for more than one game. If there are three games on the list that strike your fancy, vote for all three. Voting starts on Sunday morning.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I did a bit of quick research.

For those who are preparing to vote and haven’t played a casual game before—all of these games are available on Big Fish Games. With the exception of E.P.I.C. Wishmaster, they all have demos on Big Fish so you can try them out as you are deciding how to vote.

(If you decide to buy on Big Fish, and don’t want to join the BF Game Club during the purchasing process, you need to check that you aren’t automatically put in the club—as far as I know, you have to actively opt out of the club at the time that you are making an actual purchase.)

There are other casual portals, but Big Fish has the best selection. If you don’t want to use Big Fish, a few of the games are also available on Steam. They don’t have demos on Steam, though. The games available on Steam are: Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood, House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret, and Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can.

Many of the games are also available on Amazon.com. Some are disk versions only, some are download only, and some are both. The available games are: Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood, 9: The Dark Side, Eternal Journey: New Atlantis, Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost, House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets, House of 1000 Doors: Serpent Flame, Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can, Mystery Case Files: Fate’s Carnival, Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top