• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 04 June 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

BEGINNINGS

Before Kurufinwe revived the AGSotD tradition there was Wreck. He’s the guy who started it in 2005 and posted more than 360 screenshots,  usually from classic games. Here’s a classic intro for Wreck.

Our travel agent from Grim Fandango sending off one of his clients on a 4-year journey of the soul, with a beautiful Excelsior Line walking stick. Yeah, that compass in the handle will sure come in handy!

Where do they get these guys? They don’t qualify for anything good, so I can’t sell anything good, can’t work off my time, and I’m stuck. Stuck selling walking sticks to a bunch of burros for eternity. I need better clients, I need a real saint, I need a lead on a rich, dead saint.

The game sucks you in from the very first scene when the door opens and we see Manny’s shadow (intimidating? ME?) and a scared client. In just 3 minutes you learn everything you need to know about Manny and his work, the Number Nine, his debt to the powers that be. That wonderful sales pitch. That hilarious moment when Manny takes off his stilts! IMO this is the perfect intro for a humorous adventure.

As Wreck used to say: Happy Wednesday, People!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Awesome opening to an absolutely awesome game. Cool

The fun part is that you meet Celso again later in the game, and he has quite a few things to say about his Excelsior Line stick… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I love the screenshot Karlok! 2005 is way before my time even lurking on Adventure Gamers so it’s an interesting & nice acknowledgement of the originator of this thread! I did delve into the archives but sadly a lot of Wreck’s screenshots aren’t there anymore.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Grim Fandango made me escape from my job in 2000 just to play it. Need I say more?

I’ve played it many times and I’ve been listening to its magnificent soundtrack every now and then.

If you check the best thread this forum has (and its predecessor), you’ll find many screenshots from GF I’ve posted.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

There’s some great screenshots in the gallery here zobraks - are they yours?

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

No, as far as I know.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 04 June 2014 08:15 AM

There’s some great screenshots in the gallery here zobraks - are they yours?

You mean this gallery? Most of those (48 of them) are mine (I answered Jackal’s call for AG screenshots)... Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Yes Tim, those ones & they’re really lovely shots!  So zobraks what thread do you mean?

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The game is just so well-written, stylish and adult. And if you watch the latest playthrough of Grim Fandango by Tim Schafer, you can see just how much thought was put into every single detail back then. I want that Schafer back.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

chrissie - 04 June 2014 12:41 PM

zobraks what thread do you mean?

Come on, you know what thread is the best around here (and has most views in process).

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I think I know you mean ‘Adventure game scene…uh, game’ zobraks which actually I look at every day. There’s no way though on that thread of attributing every single screenshot to the poster so eventhough there are some great screenshots posted they do get forgotten in time!

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

One of the best games ever made, if not the best. And I think I disagree Karlok with the characterization “humorous”. Sure, many elements are present (like the intro), but I believe that in the whole is more of a….mix of noir, drama and humour. Basically a category of it’s own dammit. Smile

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

zobraks - 04 June 2014 07:41 AM

Grim Fandango made me escape from my job in 2000 just to play it. Need I say more?

aaahhh…those where the days…
I played GF as soon as it came out, and I was 100% absorbed by it for about a month.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dertiger - 05 June 2014 02:23 AM
zobraks - 04 June 2014 07:41 AM

aaahhh…those where the days…
I played GF as soon as it came out, and I was 100% absorbed by it for about a month.

Oh yeah. I remember that well. I had just spent a week in hospital (after having a perforated appendix removed), and spent a further two weeks at home. The first week was wasted with Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit. The second week, Grim Fandango came out. Cool

I believe it took me only two weeks to finish… but I did spend every possible minute I had in those two weeks on the game. It was that good!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Bring the Eggs Manny, “Viva la Revolucion!”

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Doom - 04 June 2014 12:48 PM

The game is just so well-written, stylish and adult. And if you watch the latest playthrough of Grim Fandango by Tim Schafer, you can see just how much thought was put into every single detail back then. I want that Schafer back.

thanks for this!  Nerd

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top