• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 21 June 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I knew today I wanted something from Syberia, but choosing an iconic scene in a game that’s filled with them is not easy. In the end I went with Elena and the scary, giant robotic organ in the abandoned factory, but there are dozens of scenes I could have picked just as well.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

I wish Sokal had chosen a different song. Ochi Chyornye is just so cliche. And we don’t sing it in Russia for God’s sake Smile

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

Cliché or not, I still get spellbound whenever I hear that rendition of Ochi Chyornye. Around the time I first played the game, I think I became obsessed with the song (OK, not Borodine-level obsessed) so I Googled the transliterated lyrics in order to sing along.

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I agree that the song is a cliché, and kind of an odd one for a woman who’s supposed to be an opera singer. But that’s how Syberia works: it’s not a documentary, it’s “drawn without reference material” (as Steve Purcell would say). It doesn’t depict Europe as it truly is (or was) but Europe as it can be imagined – or, more accurately, Europe as a young child in the West might dream it up, based on some clichés he might have read or heard about. And the magic of the story is that Kate has somehow managed to walk into Hans’s childhood dream.

I think all the clichés in the game (and there are lots of them) are essential to give the game this childhood-dream quality, and to make its central message more powerful: that these childhood dreams can become real (though not without a price).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top