• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 20 June 2012

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I asked Kuru if I could post a few screenshots from games which I found remarkable in some way. He said yes, so for the next 6 or 8 Wednesdays you’re stuck with me. Sorry, no SOMI, no DOTT, no Sam&Max; on Wednesday.  Kuru will of course be posting the rest of the week. Cool

The pic is the very last screen from the Czech adventure In the Shadow of the Raven (1999). Its visual style has a certain childlike charm, but everything else is totally forgettable. The reason I want to save it from oblivion is the remarkable theme of the intro and epilogue, which strangely enough doesn’t have much to do with the rest of the game: monk Severin’s search for the meaning of life. And at the end of his wanderings he finds it. In spite of the atrocious English (and I’m saying that as a non-native Shifty Eyed) and the clumsiness of the cut scenes, there can be no doubt about it: he finds Enlightenment as described by Christian mystics, Buddhists, Sufis, by all world religions. Even the Dark Night of the Soul is shown for a second or two. Truly amazing. There are other games with vague spiritual musings, but none like this.

From the intro:
At the beginning there was a word. Nobody knew it. But many were looking for it: hermits in their caves, poets in hysterical poems, ordinary people in sex, ascetics in self-denial, kings in streams of blood, prophets in crowds, children in fairy tales, medicine men in dreams – all of them were looking for the word. But try to find it without searching, just flow as a River. Try to stop the water – it will accept your hit. Become a Stone on the road, a flower on the meadow or the smell of waking wood. Feel the joy of never-ending fusion and forget yourself.

And now for something completely different…
What did the Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor? Make me one with everything.
Grin

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Ooh, I have dim memories of this game, but it was really forgettable. The developers probably didn’t agree on whether it was supposed to be a comedy or a philosophical tale.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I didn’t know In the Shadow of the Raven was so profound. Nice review, Fien.

I’m back to looking for the Word (the way ordinary people do ) now.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Thanks a lot Fien for posting about a game I’d never heard about. I’m never going to play it, so I want to know: what is the meaning of life that the game reveals at the end?

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Kurufinwe - 20 June 2012 01:11 PM

Thanks a lot Fien for posting about a game I’d never heard about. I’m never going to play it, so I want to know: what is the meaning of life that the game reveals at the end?

42?  Oops, wrong game. Wink

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I dont know this game AT ALL… maybe Fien should take the Scene behind the scene
Tongue

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2006-06-06

PM

I remember playing a demo of this years ago. It really did have little to do with spirituality - you had to get rid of a guard.

Wasn’t there a sequel planned?

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I want to know: what is the meaning of life that the game reveals at the end?

Well, it’s nothing special. Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

Oops, wrong game.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The meaning of life is like a tree in the desert, without roots, trunk or leaves. It does not exist, but we need it to be comforted against the loneliness of existance.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

if i can add myself to the philosophers here, i would say the meaning of life is nothing but the deference between what you what mean to accomplish every time you get out of bed and what you really did before you lay your back your head .

and that would.. be a nice intro to a Rock song.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

what is the meaning of life that the game reveals at the end?

Sorry, my interpretation. Shifty Eyed The game doesn’t mention the meaning of life, only The Word. So I guess it would be more accurate to say that Severin first has a strange dream he doesn’t understand and in the end just stumbles into this “never-ending fusion”.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top