• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Henk61

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cage Match™ (The Queens of Sierra_Online)

Poll: Jane vs Roberta?
Total Votes: 42
Jane Jensen
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jane Jensen Wins!

Score for the record:-
Jane Jensen 25
Roberta Williams :17

————————————————-
The-Adventure-Gamers-dot-com-Cage-Matches-Prologue:-

Sometimes, with no real or specific reason, there are always somethings out-there crying to be put into comparison!, and away from the global famous comparisons, such with sport teams (i.e. Man.United vs Arsenal, or Barcelona Vs Real Madrid) or Metal Music icons Megadeth Vs Metallica. There are 100s of other pairs always fun to bring them into these kinda matches. Of course/defiantly i will stay away of the oldest pair (match) at the History of Adventure gaming (Sierra Vs LucasArts) as i think there are enough other interesting adventure gaming challenges/matches (and not-too-much-fun-lesser than them) to be taken/given here.

————————————————-

Lets get this over with ,I am afraid that the results might be previously known for this poll which is very disappointing for me ,but I thought of giving it a shot .

in this comparison we might wanna think of:
who had the most greatest effect of the genre .
who have the most pleasing personality .
and who had (accumulating) improved the genre.
and who is so arrogant and cocky.
who is the mutlimilioner that doesn’t deserve any more cherishing .
...and who would you give your money if you have only one choice.

If this vote seems ridiculous just move on. Or just don’t take it too serious .

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

…but ultimately we have to consider who made the best games and for my money it’s Jane Jensen every time!

Sorry old chap, I know how you feel about Roberta but in the end her best game (in my opinion) is KQ6 and even then only because of Jane! [/personal opinion]

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

No sorry(s) Intense , but I think all this love for Jane had nothing or more to do than her games and contributions ,and makes me sad that we would love some designer for her great personality, not for her ..(you know) designs ,development and achievements .. I think this idea/story would go also for Tim Schafer vs Bill Tiller (i.e).

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Both of them are pretty ladies, so that’s a tie for me Smile
Roberta is one of the founders of the genre and the most important female person in the gaming industry. Together with Ken Williams, of course. The most important couple.
I really enjoy the classical King’s Quest gameplay (despite faulty design) and I really wish for more games of such sort, even though my favourite is King’s Quest 6 (again, a tie between R & J).
I also like Laura Bow, but I hate Phantasmagoria Frown

Jane made Gabriel Knight 1 and 3, which are among my top 10 adventure games. I’m not sure whether they were influential, but they were among the first “adult” games back then in the sense of writing.
I also love Robert Holmes’ music themes - he’s one of my favourite game composers.
Then again, Jane’s credits are not that big, and I don’t really care much for GK2, nor Gray Matter or her casual games.
What DOES matter though, is that she continues making games no matter what, and I’m very excited about Moebius. I gave my money to her, and, basically, I had only one choice)

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I cheated and voted for both (I can do that as a mod Grin). Because it is a tie, imo.

Who is the most important female in gaming? Roberta Williams
Between the two of them, who made the best games? Jane Jensen
Who’s still making games? Jane Jensen
But without Roberta Williams, there’d probably not be a Jane Jensen.

It’s difficult to compare the two because you’re really comparing apples and oranges. So some will vote for the one that made the biggest impact on the genre (which is undoubtedly Roberta), and some will vote for the one that made the best games (which is for most people Jensen)...

They’re both winners, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Jane’s choice of subject matter is generally less appealing to me than Roberta’s, plus it’s hard to deny the way Roberta was really blazing a trail for others to follow. Her work is so important to the genre, and that puts her a cut above simply making good games with the established conventions.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to suggest that Roberta’s contribution to the history of adventure games isn’t massively important because it is.

However, where Roberta (or perhaps more generally Sierra) paved the way, or established a convention, of adventure games others, including Jane, took it on to new levels. Whilst you might say no Jane without Roberta (although I’m not entirely sure that someone else working with Ken at the beginning couldn’t have equalled what Roberta did [/blasphemy] ) that does not necessarily mean that Roberta must be greater than all who follow her.

Take the history of film for instance (not that I’m an expert by any means). When it all started in the late 19th century it re-defined storytelling probably more than Sierra’s early graphic adventures did to gaming (or perhaps to a similar extent) but I would not call whoever was making the first films the greatest in the film genre. Films have come on massively since then both technologically and artistically and the same is true of adventure games. Therefore first is not necessarily greatest and it does not follow that Roberta is automatically greater* than Jane. (*or better or whatever word you want to use).

I would argue that the main legacy for both Roberta and Jane will be the games themselves and whilst Roberta will always be first, Jane will always be greater. [/personal opinion]

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Easy,

Jane wrote the best stories and dialogue vs Roberta pushing new technologies.
Puzzle wise I don’t have that much of a preference for either, as I think neither of them were particularly good at it, come to think of it.

For me story and writing is king, so Jane!

Tell me, is there any game that Roberta designed all by herself (no co-writer/designer involved) that people actually play still today? Honestly, because I can’t think of any personally, whereas GK1 and 2 I play at least once every 2 years or so. And I have seen others being outspoken on this forum on regularly playing KQ6 and GK3 aswel.
But any ‘real’ Roberta game? I can’t seem to name one.

Any particular reason why personality and looks count?
(I realize that may have been a joke though….:-))

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Which would I prefer to see nude in a hot-tub on the cover of an adventure game?  There can be only one…

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Indeed Laughing

Also Advie stacked the deck slightly in his (Roberta’s) favor as judging from the pictures above we’re comparing a 20 year old looking Roberta with a 40 year old looking Jane Pan

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie you shouldnt..

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Intense Degree - 24 January 2014 12:24 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to suggest that Roberta’s contribution to the history of adventure games isn’t massively important because it is.

However, where Roberta (or perhaps more generally Sierra) paved the way, or established a convention, of adventure games others, including Jane, took it on to new levels. Whilst you might say no Jane without Roberta (although I’m not entirely sure that someone else working with Ken at the beginning couldn’t have equalled what Roberta did [/blasphemy] ) that does not necessarily mean that Roberta must be greater than all who follow her.

Take the history of film for instance (not that I’m an expert by any means). When it all started in the late 19th century it re-defined storytelling probably more than Sierra’s early graphic adventures did to gaming (or perhaps to a similar extent) but I would not call whoever was making the first films the greatest in the film genre. Films have come on massively since then both technologically and artistically and the same is true of adventure games. Therefore first is not necessarily greatest and it does not follow that Roberta is automatically greater* than Jane. (*or better or whatever word you want to use).

I would argue that the main legacy for both Roberta and Jane will be the games themselves and whilst Roberta will always be first, Jane will always be greater. [/personal opinion]

I believe that comparing Yanni’ or Malmsteen’ Music’ with the old ‘classical era’ of music is as much as comparing Jane with Roberta ,they are just out of the compression !! .

The pattern made by the 1st people who makes ‘whatever’ is always pure! ,Roberta had created/made worlds ,that make players into believing that they are the heroes of those games/worlds which offers them a real time life experience ,she invented this all! . so the comparison can always just be subjective about the better storytelling or the designing ,but to have/give idea from/to generations that Jane is over-bettering Roberta ,sounds like saying malmsteen is better than Bach.

Jane came in with the technologies and that ‘idea’ she helped Sierra games to stop the deaths feature is as well as Sierra had settled on the dead-ends before (not worth mentioning imo.

I don’t like even the equality even as sorta respect for Roberta , sounds very far to my ears.

@Tim “can you still vote some more” Tongue

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

subbi - 24 January 2014 12:31 PM

Easy,

Tell me, is there any game that Roberta designed all by herself (no co-writer/designer involved) that people actually play still today? Honestly, because I can’t think of any personally, whereas GK1 and 2 I play at least once every 2 years or so. And I have seen others being outspoken on this forum on regularly playing KQ6 and GK3 aswel.
But any ‘real’ Roberta game? I can’t seem to name one.

Any particular reason why personality and looks count?
(I realize that may have been a joke though….:-))

Phantasmagoria ,King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder! the ADGI remakes and IA remake Plus KQ6 and Laure Bow 2 ,all those can be played today! ..

Yea that was a Joke as the Multimillionair thing Smile

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Laura Bow 2 was not designed by Roberta despite her name being attached to as if it were….(which is typical).
King’s Quest 6 is a great game thanks mostly due to Jane’s involvement, almost anyone agrees on that fact.

Both King’s Quest 5 and Phantasmagoria are not generally considered particularly good adventure games, nor very well received critically.
Phantasmagoria sold well and generated a lot if buzz, because (yes, again) the technological innovation of being an FMV game and a multimedia behemoth by shipping on a record breaking 7 CD roms.

But I’ll give her the ‘best looking’  win, so that must count for something.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Roberta of course, I hope I don’t need to explain further. Too easy.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

by the way some of those bubbles were added over ..but ‘come on!’

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top