• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #26: The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Laughing I liked the 24 heads on the wall song.

Tim—in my game, I returned right to the point in Shangri La where I left off after getting what I needed for El Dorado.

I’m almost reluctant to explore further in Shangri La. I think it’s knowing that there’s going to be a maze.

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

The End

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The most surprising thing for me, which for some reason I didn’t remember from the first time I played the game years ago—
(SPOILER unless you’re at or near the end of the game)
Dr. Elliot Sinclair was apparently an Atlantean. The first time I saw him (during Gage’s first trip to Atlantis—after its destruction) I assumed he’d gone back in time at some point. I didn’t realize that Atlantis was where he come from. It would be interesting to know what he did during all those centuries between Atlantean times and Gage’s time. Was he one of the famous inventors of history? Did he move around the world to keep his slow aging a secret?

For some reason I had a memory that the “second-class citizens” of Atlantis managed to escape. I didn’t see any indication that that happened this time though, so maybe I dreamed it—or maybe I just assumed it since some of them were planning to escape during the festival. But Dr. Sinclair was the only one actually seen alive after the destruction.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 05 February 2014 12:28 PM

Laughing I liked the 24 heads on the wall song.

I seem to be missing a lot of things. I wonder if most of the “humorous, but extraneous” dialog only happens if you have Arthur in “Chatty” mode. I have him set at “Normal” and he can still be a bit irritating.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2009-06-26

PM

I had him set at Normal at first, but later changed it to chatty.. and yes he has lots more fun things to say. Sarcastic

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

zobraks - 05 February 2014 11:35 AM

Guess who’s got all the stones!

I do! I do!

Took me hours to get used to the map properly (noting which side the doors could be opened on etc) and then solve the melt-the-butter quest associated with it all. At least getting back out wasn’t too bad. Yes that Khan was a pillbug. I was so tickled when I first found I could sneak up behind him and steal his sword, but less so when I realized he was effectively blocking one whole door, making the maze puzzle tougher by limiting which directions you could approach. Lets say it with Arthur (& Kirk) KKHHAANNN!!!! Laughing

As for the other issue, most adventures have been a-maze-ing at some point or other.

As near as I remember it, pretty much all the early adventure games[s]were[/s]had a maze in them. It was like a rule. People only argued about whether they were reasonable to solve or not. A lot of them had a lot of forced backtracking in them and a tendency to get eaten by grues when you ran out of light. I guess that bulb over Arthur’s head is keeping Gage safe.

The most extreme version of this tendency appeared in an early graphics-heavy adventure called Labyrinth which was purely a maze game. Each area was a maze representing a particular culture/time/place and hooked to the main maze. It was fun at the beginning, but then there were the clowns…

Was anyone else thinking that it was weird throughout the chapter that the pilgrim spoke to Gage the same way no matter how he was disguised? I guess the end makes sense of it, since he could see right through the suit. What were you thinking, Gage? Wear shorts next time you visit a psychic Siddha!  Heart Eyes

Should I save the last puzzle then or go ahead and finish?

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

crabapple - 05 February 2014 05:57 PM

The most surprising thing for me, which for some reason I didn’t remember from the first time I played the game years ago—
(SPOILER unless you’re at or near the end of the game)
Dr. Elliot Sinclair was apparently an Atlantean. The first time I saw him (during Gage’s first trip to Atlantis—after its destruction) I assumed he’d gone back in time at some point. I didn’t realize that Atlantis was where he come from. It would be interesting to know what he did during all those centuries between Atlantean times and Gage’s time. Was he one of the famous inventors of history? Did he move around the world to keep his slow aging a secret?

Which makes him suddenly dying of old age during Gage’s time all the more weird. Was he just supposed to live long enough to guilt-trip Gage into claiming the Legacy? Obviously he wasn’t truly immortal. Maybe he just had to last until the paradox closed? He wasn’t supposed to be the only one either, just the last. The newest kid got the boring guard duty? What did the fun shifts look like? What secret missions were they supposed to do? I think we were just supposed to forget about ‘em. Wink

For some reason I had a memory that the “second-class citizens” of Atlantis managed to escape. I didn’t see any indication that that happened this time though, so maybe I dreamed it—or maybe I just assumed it since some of them were planning to escape during the festival. But Dr. Sinclair was the only one actually seen alive after the destruction.

Well, Gage was supposed to save the day by getting the Legacy - so let’s presume (against all in-game evidence) that everyone’s lives were actually improved by Gage’s success. The reuniting of the Legacy spared them all - possibly by sliding them into a pocket dimension where the destruction never happened (aside from a melted butter sculpture and some cracked pots.) As far as I am concerned, the Sosiqui are obviously Time Lords from Gallifrey leaving another loose end they can use to return to our dimension later - or make replacements - or something…  Nerd

I’ve thought I saw things were in games that I later realized I must have dreamt or something, because they sure weren’t there later. Riven really got me that way. I saw things while playing it that I just can’t explain now. The lines, they moved!  Crazy  Cool

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 04 February 2014 04:56 PM

As for the wall paintings – the one on the left is a story from the past… A young man traveling through time (the skull) uses the flint (you see it hanging around his neck)

Yes, you’re absolutely right! I’ve failed to notice that the man, or hero is different in two of the pictograms. Although it would be hard to solve the balloon puzzle simply by deducing the story in the second pictogram or spotting the flint, it makes me once again kick myself in the head for having to use Arthur’s first-level hint on it. Tongue The truth is, I was completely focused on “pool puzzle”, while the balloon puzzle was actually the critical one. Also, at that time, I forgot what Arthur said about the balloon mechanics, and even though I did notice it’s working on the different principle than the other balloon, I wasn’t exactly sure what is it.

Which makes me ask one question that was already brought to light in various threads - What do you think of “outside knowledge” in order to solve the puzzle? For example, in this occasion, you could bring up the already mentioned Wikipedia article on Hot air balloons, and find the next line: hot air balloons could have been used as an aid for designing the famous Nazca ground figures and lines, which were created by the Nazca culture of Peru between 400 and 650 AD, and more importantly The burner has a pilot light to ignite the propane and air mixture. The pilot light may be lit by the pilot with an external device, such as a flint striker or a lighter, and get the idea on how to solve it. Smile I think it’s OK to an extent, if it promotes some general knowledge search, like the planetary order found in The Black Mirror. (though, you could get the idea by simply listening Arthur, and as for The Black Mirror I’m not sure there’s a source of info on it)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

diego - 06 February 2014 01:39 PM

Which makes me ask one question that was already brought to light in various threads - What do you think of “outside knowledge” in order to solve the puzzle?

Why not? A touch of edutainment never hurt anyone. I think it adds to the general value of adventure gaming when outside knowledge or research would help you solve a puzzle, especially when the game teaches you a trick that could prove useful in real life sometime. Smile

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Well, I’m in Shangri La’s maze. Is there some rule that mazes must be monotonous? I’m trying to remember if I’ve ever done a maze in an adventure game that was so beautiful and varied that I didn’t want to leave it. Can’t think of one.

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Dr. Elliot Sinclair was apparently an Atlantean. ... It would be interesting to know what he did during all those centuries between Atlantean times and Gage’s time.

Perhaps he was trying to play through Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth without looking at the walkthrough.
I reckon he’d need that much time to do so.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

zobraks - 08 February 2014 02:36 PM

[spoiler]Dr. Elliot Sinclair was apparently an Atlantean. ... It would be interesting to know what he did during all those centuries between Atlantean times and Gage’s time.[/spoiler]

Perhaps he was trying to play through Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth without looking at the walkthrough.
I reckon he’d need that much time to do so.

Ha, ha, ha… that’s right! Nobody can do Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth without a walkthrough!!! Only Sinclair did… and he died!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 04 February 2014 04:56 PM

a toothed critter (maybe a crocodile?)

If you look closely at the first pictogram, the “shaman” is standing on the “toothed critter” at the third section while battling the fire - thus, assuming it’s the water spirit, I think you may very well be right Smile I thought it looked as a fox, but crocodile sounds better, not to mention more indigenous to South America Grin (unless, it’s a water opossum Laughing)

SweetDalilah - 04 February 2014 08:06 PM

Still playing in El Dorado. Will let you know how the meeting with Shaman goes.

Please don’t squeeze the shaman! Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

Finally got around to finishing El Dorado.

Here’s a pic of Shaman and some vacation photos as promised. Tongue

Nice hairdo, bro!

I captured the Shaman’s image straight away, and went to talk to the boy as the Shaman right away to get the talisman (wasn’t it obvious you were supposed to do that?)

Anyway as many others I went to the pond first, but after Arthur mentioned the balloon (while giving the hints about the heads) I went straight for the balloon ride. I didn’t go to the temple and stare at the wall paintings for 12 hours figuring out what to do like diego Crazy, (even though he already played the game, + it’s his favourite game, + he is the playthrough leader)  Naughty  Pan  Grin

But I still had to walk all the way back to the balloon.  Shifty Eyed  Angry

I loved the way the Nazcas? predicted everything that happened with the traces in the field representing the two other destroyed cities, the explosion and eagles representing the aliens fighting.

But I would have loved to have been able to take the balloon for a longer ride instead of just kinda going up, up and down Tongue

How on earth did they want us to remember this without taking a picture?  Gasp Shifty Eyed

I actually tried going through the fire, just to see if Gage could do it, and it actually gave me the animation of walking through, and it gave me the impression I was making my way forward and making progress, but after 5 minutes I realized I was going nowhere and [spoiler]that Gage is a pussy no Indiana Jones. Tongue[/spoiler]

For the end of this chapter a special gift from me (I thought some of you might want to have them Wink )

Everything you need to know about me has already been told.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Great pictures, but worthless to me. I’ve finally got back to playing, but am a bit lost. Have found two Buddha statues. Not sure what I need to do.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top