• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 23 September 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

I wish there were pizza joints like this where I live.

I thought Duckman: The Graphic Adventures of a Private Dick (1997) was pretty good, but I guess it really depends on your sense of humor as to whether you can enjoy it. Its somewhat crude and lewd humor as well as its short play length may be negatives to some. I enjoyed it at the time though.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

My daughter & me had polished off Duckman in one go.
That was the best (sunny) Christmas day I ever had.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I liked the TV series and its humour, so I’m pretty sure I’ll like this.

That’s why it’s on my list of games to play. Tongue

Plus Dag can’t stop raving about this… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yay! Duckman! Grin

TimovieMan - 23 September 2013 06:59 AM

Dag can’t stop raving about this… Grin

Hah! I’ve only just begun! Tongue

I was a huge fan of the animated show before I discovered the game, and what a discovery that was! Every fan of the show owes it to themselves to play the game, because it’s a bloody good Duckman episode, and an interactive one at that.

One of the most hilarious games I ever played, but obviously, not for those easily offended, as just about every joke made in the game would challenge your sense of decency Tongue Nor is it a game for those looking for a braintwister, as it’s probably the closest thing to a fast paced adventure game you could get in the nineties. A seasoned adventurer would likely not get stuck once.

The voice acting is simply superb. It features, among others, Tim Curry in one of his most brilliant performances. The AG review mentions the lack of Jason Alexander (the original voice of Duckman) as a con, but I disagree. Michael Gough (a seasoned voice actor whose voice can be heard in many adventure games) delivers a dynamic and convincing performance and a brilliant Alexander impression on top of it. It’s a delight to listen to.

Aside from easy puzzles, the biggest con of the game is it’s short length. It leaves you wanting more, and, as mentioned in the AG review, with a sense of untapped potential. A little more game, a little more challenge, and it would have been among the greats. Still, it’s one of the best “Not by LucasArts, but could easily have been” - games, and a must play for anyone who fancies the mid nineties cartoon adventures.

On a side note, I just finished my first playthrough of Blazing Dragons (Terry Jones of Monty Python’s brainchild) which is made by the same company that made Duckman. Another brilliant “Not by LucasArts, but could easily have been” - game. The humour here is considerably less wicked, but like anything written by Terry Jones, there’s the occasional sexual innuendo. Terry Jones, along with Cheech Marin (Cheech & Chong) and Harry Shearer (The Simpsons), lends their voices to the majority of the characters (including the female ones, in true Monty Python style), and, just like Duckman, the voice acting shines. The puzzles are slightly less easy, and the game is a little bit longer. It has a couple short arcade sections, but these are only a very small portion of the game, they’re not tedious, and should not discourage anyone from playing it. Another rare gem, and a must play!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I also want to play this, although I’ve never seen the show. I like the graphics and it seems to be generally praised, but Dag’s opinions is definitely what finally convinced me. Anybody knows if it’s difficult to find?

Also, what are we counting down to? I hope it’s something good. Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

harald - 23 September 2013 10:30 AM

I also want to play this, although I’ve never seen the show. I like the graphics and it seems to be generally praised, but Dag’s opinions is definitely what finally convinced me. Anybody knows if it’s difficult to find?

Sadly, due to limited distribution and marketing, Duckman is one of the rarest commercial adventure games out there, but there’s often a copy or two availiable at amazon. They’re usually quite pricey though Meh

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 23 September 2013 10:14 AM

Blazing Dragons

*adds another game to his list of games to play*

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

zobraks - 23 September 2013 02:26 AM

My daughter & me had polished off Duckman in one go.
That was the best (sunny) Christmas day I ever had.

That is IS lovely, man Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top