• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 08 July 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Sherlock Holmes in: Another Bow (1985) is one of the earliest Sherlock Holmes games to have graphics, if you want to call the abomination that is CGA, graphics. Cyan and magenta are one of the most vile color combinations ever. The C64 version was less offensive looking though.

It’s been a long time since I’ve played this one, but I recall its gameplay being more about following and questioning people and examining scenes for clues than solving puzzles. I’m not even sure you had an inventory. If you did it was extremely minimal.

Anyway, do I get extra credit for posting a scene that actually has today’s date in it?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

This post has made me curious to see if there actually was a CGA game that looked good. I’ve defended some vile artwork such as the post-modern vomit in Leisure Suit Larry 6 but I can’t think of any CGA game that looked nice to me.

EDIT: I ended up asking a friend about this, lol, and he brought my attention to this:

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

thejobloshow - 08 July 2013 01:05 AM

This post has made me curious to see if there actually was a CGA game that looked good. I’ve defended some vile artwork such as the post-modern vomit in Leisure Suit Larry 6 but I can’t think of any CGA game that looked nice to me.

That would be a great challenge - get all these retro developers to make a good looking CGA game. (Listening, Wadjet Eye?) Smile

I don’t think it’s possible though. I think the fault was entirely with the highly contrasting colours. It’s possible to make a good looking game with 4 colours - make it black and white and use two additional in-between shades, but not with black, white, magenta and cyan. As I recall you can’t pick 4 colours with CGA, you had to use a certain mode of predetermined palettes.

There were some other modes which looked slightly better, but only slightly. The first Last Half of Darkness used very few colours and looked pretty good but I don’t think it was true CGA:

Outside adventures the closest to what I would call ‘nice’ would be Defender of the Crown:

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I thought Loom looked pretty good on my CGA.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top