• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 14 June 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

As a general rule, I can’t stand far future settings. There’s nothing that makes me want to run in the other direction quicker than the metal corridors of a space ship. In fact, if some catastrophe like a massive asteroid strike were to doom our planet and my choice was to die on earth or live in a tin can prison floating in the vast expanse of space, I would choose death.

The reason I bring this up is because this feeling causes me to to avoid lots of games that might otherwise be good. On occasion though, I will force myself to play them anyway and I recently did this with Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch (1992).

Fortunately, the majority of the game takes place down on planets with primitive races and in medieval looking scenes like the above, so it didn’t really bother me much at all. In fact, the game, while short and a bit on the easy side, is actually pretty decent.

I then made the mistake of immediately playing the sequel, which is probably the worst sequel I have ever encountered in any game genre. Maybe even in film as well. But that’s a rant for another day…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

So you dont link Perry Rhodan Set?! ... i would agree than living in a world such a Bladerunner or Culpainnata, or alternativa .. are Soo doomed to accept, i would probably wanna die before raising children or having a family at these circumstances .. but
a game as with an entertaining set which the dev/writer takes anywhere and opens my imaginations , i like all adventures set in the future because of that imagination part even those set in a fantasy world also ,  games like Deponia or Space Quest also where time and space are irrelevant .

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Advie - 14 June 2013 06:42 AM

So you dont link Perry Rhodan Set?!

Based on the screenshots I have seen, I don’t care much for the visuals of Perry Rhodan at all. I might force myself to play it eventually, but I have no plans to at the moment.

As if it isn’t obvious yet, I am very much a visually oriented person. Even something as subtle as the color of the walls in a room I am in can have a noticeably positive or negative emotional impact on me.

I also have a strong preference for the imaginative expression of an artist over the dreary function over form of an engineer. Any environment where engineering takes precedence over expression feels cold, sterile, oppressive and even inhuman to me.

... i would agree than living in a world such a Bladerunner or Culpainnata, or alternativa .. are Soo doomed to accept, i would probably wanna die before raising children or having a family at these circumstances .. but
a game as with an entertaining set which the dev/writer takes anywhere and opens my imaginations , i like all adventures set in the future because of that imagination part even those set in a fantasy world also ,  games like Deponia or Space Quest also where time and space are irrelevant .

You are talking about story more than visuals here, which is a completely different topic. A great story can happen on a space ship. I simply think it would be a hell of a lot better if it took place somewhere else.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bastich - 14 June 2013 09:55 PM

You are talking about story more than visuals here, which is a completely different topic. A great story can happen on a space ship. I simply think it would be a hell of a lot better if it took place somewhere else.

Doesn’t that depend on the spaceship? Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top